medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

collecting militaria was once a just about worry free hobby. the german stuff was faked back in the early 70's when I got started and I like many others got burned. GI ww1-ww2 was worry free for just about no one wanted it until the true to life movies came out then the fake crap came about. every thing that is close to being pure is always sooner or late turned to garbage thanks to the greedy unethical puke out there.

15 hours ago, doyler said:

Seller is listed in St.Paul Minnesota... unless JK moved ?? Maybe someone on the forum from the twin cities knows the seller.

Photographs are done in a light box with reflection from the bulbs. 

Ron, yes, and if you have one, you emulate the same style...and there are many boxes out there.

I actually like this helmet, having seen 3 or 4 over the last 10 years.

pat

2 hours ago, jpstout said:

Ron, yes, and if you have one, you emulate the same style...and there are many boxes out there.

I actually like this helmet, having seen 3 or 4 over the last 10 years.

pat

I kinda feel it is not directly just the style, but also the subject. I have the other helmet In hand that I had an accepted offer on. When I got it, it was the only one listed. It looked strikingly convincing when listed by itself. I am not really too impressed with the paint on magnification. The whole helmet was also wrapped in a towel that was heavily impregnated with some king of very strong scent, like a deodorizer, and am suspicious that it may have been used to mask the smell of chemicals and fresh paint. 

Whatever you all decide on these helmets, let me be clear,  they are not Jamie Kashetta's work. Trust me, there are a LOT more helmet fakers out there than the one that ya'll want to target.

Burning Hazard
11 minutes ago, Bugme said:

Whatever you all decide on these helmets, let me be clear,  they are not Jamie Kashetta's work. Trust me, there are a LOT more helmet fakers out there than the one that ya'll want to target.

Also, not all helmets he owned were fakes; he owned numerous originals but then the fakes quietly started to creep in.

Pat

just-a-good-ole-boy

There is nothing wrong with that medic helmet in my opinion. Probably post war/ Korean era, but very original and nothing like any of the aging techniques Jamie used. 

Steve

just-a-good-ole-boy

I would need to see the 88th in hand, but it looks like the older insignia is a lighter blue (earlier) paint. This is a good sign if so. 

Steve 

2 minutes ago, just-a-good-ole-boy said:

I would need to see the 88th in hand, but it looks like the older insignia is a lighter blue (earlier) paint. This is a good sign if so. 

Steve 

Indeed it is a lighter almost grayish blue underneath. There is signs of previous 88th insignia underneath a repaint as well. The white is also overpainted on a darkened white. I've compared it to several painted helmets I own, and it is still quite convincing. I own a x40 loupe, and is still probably not the magnification needed to be conclusive. I see things I like about it, however, I kinda wish I had more to reference to in my possession

2 hours ago, Bugme said:

Then who’s work is it? Your comment reads as if you know more than what you want to let on. Jamie’s work tricked a lot of people a few years back, especially some who pulled some weight when it came to their opinion. Transparency is a lot more important as the days go on with this hobby. 
Robert

36 minutes ago, rob590ert said:

Then who’s work is it? Your comment reads as if you know more than what you want to let on. Jamie’s work tricked a lot of people a few years back, especially some who pulled some weight when it came to their opinion. Transparency is a lot more important as the days go on with this hobby. 
Robert

If Scott says their not Jamie’s it’s because he has handled a number of his fakes and can recognize patterns in his fakes. While I initially had belief that this may have had something to do with Jamie, I trust him that it is not and fully admit I was wrong.

I also believe that he doesn’t know created them, for one they could turn out to be original, but also because knowing for certain that it is Jamie’s does not mean he knows who the John Doe that may have produced a fake is/was. Scott is always transparent with his knowledge and there is no reason to think he is hiding something.

i really value everyones judgement out there. i havent decided to return the 88th quite yet, as there is still more in depth analysis i want to get done. if anyone out here receives the medic helmet, i can only hope it ends up with a forum member so they can also document it, it would be nice for a side by side for reference. so far it still seems to be mixed reviews. i have only been collecting m1's for about three years after kinda getting out of the german hobby for it being quite dubious, however, i have learned in this short time that there are many things over debate in the us militaria realm as well (albeit still relatively cheaper)

8 hours ago, rob590ert said:

Really? His work tricked a lot of collectors? I guess I missed that while I was trying to help all those collectors who got burned back then, at the same time having members here take pot shots at me, accusing me of being somehow involved, and fielding phone calls from panicked collectors wondering how they could get their money back, giving them advice as to how to handle it and answering the swarm of posts here during that time. (Sarcasm intended)

Honestly, I do not even "think" that the medic helmet is a fake, but I am very careful in how much I say these days and leave up to all the others to put a stamp of approval on a helmet. I find my life much more peaceful as a result. Is that transparent enough for you?

No need to get personal. Of the nearly 8 billion people on the earth I feel confident that there are far better counterfeiters out there than JK. You can't prove a null so I don't expect that not knowing or naming a specific artist is somehow evidence that these are authentic. Without provenance, this is just swinging it and chest puffing. If it's worth a ton, buy it then prove its authentic. You can't - it's faith at best.

I see dealers with the attitude of, "What? Is it authentic? Prove to me it isn't."  Nope. You can't prove a majority of these so the prices should not be so outrageous. That should be reserved for the ones with solid provenance. 

That eBay seller photo is very telling to me.

ArchangelDM

I got stung by Jamie when he sold me a fake helmet he presented on the forum 

Jamie Kashetta still owes me $2500 also, when showed to various members of this forum they confirmed it’s as fake as a 9 Bob note. I’ve since used it as a guide. 

I have many emails from him - 

here is a helmet Jamie tried to sell me, he emailed this in 2016 

shot of the helmet he emailed me and the medic helmet 

Thoughts ?

F3CACCE6-F6AB-4491-9F13-9C5DD3C36FCA.png

6F6F1174-4258-4B85-9A9A-94773930E163.png

ArchangelDM

Shadawg I’m going to give you my honest opinion, 

ive been hurt by this hobby and I’ve also had some great times and met some amazing people and owned and own some incredible real helmets, Some unit painted and some not. Im not an expert but I have been learning/collecting for quite a while so I feel my opinion can be given. 

like I said I also have been burnt by Jamie ! 

I dislike the 88th helmet and I also dislike the medic helmet for lots of reasons. 

something to do with smelling like a rabbit and looking like rabbit. 

that’s my opinion mate, get your money back 

that screen shot of his ebay pic and the pics posted show you all you need to know 

- Dean 

There you go, some say it is fake, some say it's good and others like me think it has a chance. So, now the decision is back in the hands of the OP, it is never easy basing a decision on something like this based on pictures and opinions of people you've never met. The best scenario is to have an in hand inspection by some seasoned collectors, which is near to impossible to do in this field of collecting. 

What is the final conclusion? In the words of the famous philosopher Delmar O'Donnell: "I'm with you fellas". ;)

2 hours ago, MattS said:

I don't know if this helps at all, but wwmilitaria is a relatively new eBay ID.

ebay id.png

Indeed, they day after I purchased, the ebay user had changed profile names, which I wouldn't suppose would be to suspect if they were changing their items sold. As for the id picture they use, I have a painted vn era helmet made to look like a beach battalion helmet, so it's hard to be suspect on that too 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:31 PM, shadawg said:

This is the one that I had the accepted offer on. It wasn't until later that I found out about jkash. I feel it necessary for people to know about this, as I have the sellers name and location, and also know what he looks like. I am fairly positive it is him after doing extensive reading on topics involving him. I found some stunning information about the comparisons of the two people, and have come to the determination that he has many aliases. It's just too similar to disregard what I know. I feel that I was very complacent in the hobby, as I have many true m1s, including painted ones, and ultimately feels quite embarrassing to think I likely fell for this scam 

Please post, I would like to see his photo...

Thanks,

pat

49 minutes ago, jpstout said:

Please post, I would like to see his photo...

Thanks,

pat

A forum member that had seen jkash personally had confirmed that the seller is not him, so I won't post the picture of the seller on a public thread to keep the identity of the seller secure. It may be a very strange coincidence, as the other info regarding the two are quite similar, but now it is hard to say. He very well could be using pictures that aren't him, or it could be just a guy that is selling helmets with very similar work history and photography style 

my 2 cents on the whole situation is that a similar style of photography does not necessarily mean that it is the same person, in this case it does mean that they both are fairly skilled photographers, or at least have very nice cameras. I myself take photos of my helmets in a very similar fashion with my fathers camera. My father is a semi professional photographer in his free time and as I am home from school I've been able to pick up a few things here and there from him. This helmet I've photographed I picked up from the M-1 Helmet depot back in 2016 I think and I took this photo maybe a month ago. In terms of the helmet in question, I don't see anything that would make me think this is a fake right off the bat. I would however, like to see it in hand before i'd pull the trigger on it. this just looks like one of those you have to have in hand to make the call on 

Graham 1346236451_DSC_0989medicresize.JPG.c7891488bd37cc45bf46bd166fd69992.JPG       

I'm on the fence on these two helmets but I find it interesting that the auction closed before it could come to completion. Looks like it was sitting at $500 before the seller closed the auction.

7 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

I'm on the fence on these two helmets but I find it interesting that the auction closed before it could come to completion. Looks like it was sitting at $500 before the seller closed the auction.

Ended: Jul 30, 2020 , 12:06AM

Dang, just as the discussion of this helmet and seller was getting good too. Seems to happen fairly often, an item on eBay is posted for discussion, opinions are given, and the auction is mysteriously ended. Coincidence?  Probably not. 

We hit so many museums in Belgium - none in Bastogne - just in smaller towns on the way towards Luxembourg - hosted by a local friend.

My point is after seeing literally dozens of weathered medic M-1s is dioramas in multiple museums I realized they aren't rare at all. They are all over the place.

I guess many assume that one or two in the bunch must be real but I say no way. 

That's like the comment above about JK having a few nice, authentic, painted helmets. Would any of you buy from him again? "Yes some are fake but I promise this one is a real one."

I mentioned a pig in a poke but the problem with these is you never get to open the bag and see whats inside. Beware.

My above experience has made me completely indifferent about the museums in Normandy we were to visit this year. Even in pics I can tell there is a lot of fake stuff.