medic m1 helmet for review

shadawg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Helmet-WWII-Medic-Swivel-Bail-Front-Seam-and-Mine-Safety-Appliances-Liner/313159642455

i have another helmet in hand from this seller from an accepted offer, results of paint are inconclusive with other painted helmets i own, and feel i need higher magnification than my loupe. a lot of similarities that you members that have been here longer than i might recall from a certain situation. sorry to spoil the fun by pasting the ebay link, but this one for sure needs eyes on it

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Does browsing this sellers "other items", feedback, etc. help?

Here's what I see:

-His seller name is wwmilitaria.

-6 whole feedback so either he's very "new" to the eBay game or is starting over with another account.

-Of the 6 feedback comments all are Pokemon cards or some other non-militaria item and all are over 1 yr old.

-One of his other current auctions appears to be a cadet cap with an officers badge attached.

-His home page photo has a fantasy-looking 29th over medic cross painted M-1 in a pile with what appears to be other colorfully painted M-1s. Maybe he photographed the rarest pile of lids found in the world but to me it looks like a pile of fakes.

-Medic helmets are arguably the most faked M-1s in the history of collecting. So common that now having other markings and numbers really sets them apart(maybe?).

Before you get the requisite, "I like it" and "Maybe he found it in a barn and doesn't know", you have to decide, based on such objective evidence, where the seller is coming from and whether his completely stand-back description sells it. His honesty that "paint scratched slightly" is very transparent of him. Just nothing there.

Its a pig in a poke but a very weak one to me.

Obviously I made my decision, so it's your turn.

D

This account also sold an 88th ID helmet recently. Both helmets and the photography style remind me of the fakes made by Jamie Kashetta/JKash. 

Here's the 88th ID helmet sold by the "wwmilitaria" eBay account, followed by a confirmed fake from Jamie's "Boogeymanrepro" Instagram page. I think the similarities speak for themselves...

s-l1600.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 8.06.45 PM.png

23 minutes ago, Grant G. said:

This account also sold an 88th ID helmet recently. Both helmets and the photography style remind me of the fakes made by Jamie Kashetta/JKash. 

This is the one that I had the accepted offer on. It wasn't until later that I found out about jkash. I feel it necessary for people to know about this, as I have the sellers name and location, and also know what he looks like. I am fairly positive it is him after doing extensive reading on topics involving him. I found some stunning information about the comparisons of the two people, and have come to the determination that he has many aliases. It's just too similar to disregard what I know. I feel that I was very complacent in the hobby, as I have many true m1s, including painted ones, and ultimately feels quite embarrassing to think I likely fell for this scam 

I totally agree with Grant, the style of photo had me feeling like there was something familiar about the medic lid, but when I saw the 88th lid I immediately realized that this was probably Jamie’s newest alias to separate the unsuspecting from their money. I could be wrong but my gut immediately said this was Jamie and if I were you I would send the 88th lid back ASAP.

7 minutes ago, B24AT6 said:

I totally agree with Grant, the style of photo had me feeling like there was something familiar about the medic lid, but when I saw the 88th lid I immediately realized that this was probably Jamie’s newest alias to separate the unsuspecting from their money. I could be wrong but my gut immediately said this was Jamie and if I were you I would send the 88th lid back ASAP.

i hate to have to turn my self in to the guinea pig, but i don't think i can in right mind return it if it will be resold or repurposed. the best i can try to do now is try to get the word out i feel

I certainly respect that you wish to avoid letting it end up in someone else’s hands, but by raising the alarm that something isn’t right you’ve already done enough. Get your money back; it’s not your responsibility to let someone get away with fraud on you just to keep their wares off the market.

for further info, the one i received had been listed first, and it wasn't until afterwards the next day that i had seen this medic m1 pop up, with the new seller name of wwmilitaria. the seller is not located in the d.c., or even east coast, but st paul minnesota. after knowing what i had found out about jkash, i had found the current sellers business websites, and they are almost identical to each other. the main differences being different credentials. but same specialties, and even hobbies. that is aside from the photography style. 

4 minutes ago, shadawg said:

for further info, the one i received had been listed first, and it wasn't until afterwards the next day that i had seen this medic m1 pop up, with the new seller name of wwmilitaria. the seller is not located in the d.c., or even east coast, but st paul minnesota. after knowing what i had found out about jkash, i had found the current sellers business websites, and they are almost identical to each other. the main differences being different credentials. but same specialties, and even hobbies. that is aside from the photography style. 

That is certainly quite suspicious.

Burning Hazard

Compare the eBay photo to one of Jkash old ones on the right. Look at the light reflection off the dome and style of photography; very similar as Grant said.

2.JPG

Seller is listed in St.Paul Minnesota... unless JK moved ?? Maybe someone on the forum from the twin cities knows the seller.

Photographs are done in a light box with reflection from the bulbs. 

Hunter Whittaker

Here is one similar from my collection. I know of one other recently sold on this forum identical to mine but marked 3.  As far as the medic stencil goes it looks very similar. 

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2227.PNG

IMG_2273.JPG

Hunter Whittaker

The helmet below was sold here recently and is the twin to mine. I do not own this helmet and was posted for reference only.

1295256520_matchingmedichelmettomine3pic2.jpeg.38a527463154ecee011dfcf54095c857.jpeg348161791_matchingmedichelmettomine3.jpeg.d6db662f0d7df29ad64da9e137f5bfa3.jpeg

3 hours ago, Hunter Whittaker said:

920798851_medichelmet.1.jpg.b7ce2669398107ba0d2c17d5e3685e2c.jpgIMG_2270.JPG.e4e38cc527c95605a4bf54e18e9ba130.JPG1790319059_matchingmedichelmettomine3pic2.jpeg.7ab21ac5ad4e008fe348b5041f9679d6.jpeg

The two and three looks like the same stencil kit, but the one doesn't. I feel it was a pretty exclusive way of marking these, and just doesn't look like it matches to them 

11 minutes ago, shadawg said:

The two and three looks like the same stencil kit, but the one doesn't. I feel it was a pretty exclusive way of marking these, and just doesn't look like it matches to them 

The 2 and 3 are also both Schlueters with manganese rims, while the one being sold by Jamie is a McCord with a stainless steel rim...

10 hours ago, doyler said:

Seller is listed in St.Paul Minnesota... unless JK moved ?? Maybe someone on the forum from the twin cities knows the seller.

Photographs are done in a light box with reflection from the bulbs. 

Like many have said he could have people working for him to run their scams. Its sickening knowing that people will deceive others, sell a forged item just to make a quick buck. Especially that this seller jkash is known and won't stop anytime soon and continues to churn out fakes solely for confusing buyers who believe they are buying originals. I don't have a problem with people selling replicas as long as it is stated in the description or title. Thank you for bringing this to light we need to continue raising awareness like shadawg stated.

Guys, remember there were fakers who sold many more fakes than JK in the past. There are so many, that's why I feel confident NOT giving the benefit of the doubt to any seller.

That lighting catch is a good one for sure. Doesn't always have to be about the paint.

3 hours ago, Grant G. said:

The 2 and 3 are also both Schlueters with manganese rims, while the one being sold by Jamie is a McCord with a stainless steel rim...

Almost sounds like a suggestion that the difference in manufacturer is a factor. IMO, nothing to do with the act of faking or stencils. Period painted helmets certainly weren't all from the same mfg nor would those coming from the fakers. Suggesting the manufacture stenciled them? I'm being Mr. Obvious, I know, but I guess I struggle to figure out the correlation between original manufacturer and a stencil used.

I also agree, return it and file with eBay. There is no great snare coming later if we lie in wait. Best to stand strong with each helmet that pops up.