ID’d WWII 10th FA Ike with CIB

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Ike jacket of SSgt. William R. Ramuta, Battery “B” 10th FA Bn. Ramuta was born in 1915 in Illinois, eventually enlisting in 1941 where he would find himself assigned to the 10th FA of the 3rd Infantry Division. He would remain with the same unit for the entirety of the war, seeing combat starting in Algeria all the way to the Central Europe campaign. He wore the bronze arrowhead on his EAME ribbon most likely to denote participation in the Southern France landings known as Operation Dragoon. Ramuta would pass away rather young in 1966, following a brief period of illness. I’m curious to hear any thoughts about the fact that he wore a CIB even though he was an artillery man. Some have said that he was most likely prior infantry, however I haven’t been able to find anything online eluding to the fact that he was with any Infantry unit.

5df9db868d3142e3bf0149a87dd4342e.jpg

c3a7eccd45c5c6268bac920379a8cf46.jpg

Well for one the 3rd Division made numerous amphibious assault landings, the 10th FA Bn is credited for all  four of these, and he no doubt was in them all given the Campaign Stars he has and the amount of Overseas Bars, French North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, Southern France. however only one Invasion Arrow is worn on the ribbon irregardless if he was in all four, that goes for all Army Regiments and or Battalions in the war in all theaters.

His wearing of the ribbon for the Croix de Guerre is a bit problematic, he may have received a personal award of it, if he did, this is the only way, the only time, this ribbon is worn like this, worn with the rest of the ribbons, usually though near the bottom below U.S. ribbons. However, it's generally thought that in most cases when this CdG ribbon is worn by EMs, on going home EMs, who's unit was awarded a CdG as a unit award, is that it was a misinterpretation of the regulations, as it would be only the CdG Streamer that would be attached to the Regimental Color, or if a battalion, to the Battalion Color.

As to the CIB, if he was awarded, it it may have been as a Forward Observer, there is a school of thought that  quite a few FA Officers ad their Assistant EMs had the Regs Begged in their behalf and received the CIB, in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

ww2guymandude
Well for one the 3rd Division made numerous amphibious assault landings, the 10th FA Bn is credited for all  four of these, and he no doubt was in them all given the Campaign Stars he has and the amount of Overseas Bars, French North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, Southern France. however only one Invasion Arrow is worn on the ribbon irregardless if he was in all four, that goes for all Army Regiments and or Battalions in the war in all theaters.

His wearing of the ribbon for the Croix de Guerre is a bit problematic, he may have received a personal award of it, if he did, this is the only way, the only time, this ribbon is worn like this, worn with the rest of the ribbons, usually though near the bottom below U.S. ribbons. However, it's generally thought that in most cases when this CdG ribbon is worn by EMs, on going home EMs, who's unit was awarded a CdG as a unit award, is that it was a misinterpretation of the regulations, as it would be only the CdG Streamer that would be attached to the Regimental Color, or if a battalion, to the Battalion Color.

As to the CIB, if he was awarded, it it may have been as a Forward Observer, there is a school of thought that  quite a few FA Officers ad their Assistant EMs had the Regs Begged in their behalf and received the CIB, in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

Thanks for the input! I have seen the CdG ribbon worn by other members of the 10th FA before, I actually own another uniform from a member of the same battery in the 10th FA and he also wore the CdG ribbon. Didn’t know that about the CIB either, thanks for clarifying it.

The rules, grades and color variations of the WWI and WWII French and Belgian CdG were (and still are) rather confusing. I mainly collect WWII airborne uniforms, and I've come to almost completely discount errors that I find WRT these awards. The guys often went with what they thought was right, and by the time these lanyards and ribbons were actually worn, no one was double checking them. Regarding the CIB...only his record can truly confirm or deny it.