need help with a A-11 and ANB-H-1

Cabbell2207

Cabbell2207

hello all, i am in need of some help i recently picked up a A-11 leather flight helmet and a set of ANB-H-1 receivers. My question is how do you install the receivers?

Unfortunately, with great difficulty. They go in from the outside in. The problem is that the rubber, will probably be pretty stiff after 75 years .

I have put several in. You might want to use a small screw driver or slim piece of wood to help work them in.  On at lease one helmet, the stress

on the old rubber caused the large rubber ear piece to split. I put some super glue in the split, and it sealed up fine. It will prove to be quite a work out for your fingers!

Good Luck!

it's not thta bad. Most of the time they are still pliable enough. I usually use butter knifes to do that. It is basically the same process as putting a tire on a bike wheel :)

pararaftanr2

It helps greatly if you unscrew the two parts of the earphone and install just the ring first, then screw the housing back on. Then you can connect the wire loom. A little bit of lubrication like dish soap also helps.

phantomfixer

and warm up the rubber in the sun for a bit, just a bit...all the above are great ...unscrewing the earphones works very well..

Cabbell2207

iv'e heard u can use a hair dryer, anyone try this? ill try to unscrew the caps.

thanks guys

Cabbell2207

Success! Yes unscrewing the first ring and putting it in worked like a charm, didnt need any lubrication (hehehe insert childish giggle),only took a few minutes to put them in. Thanks all for the great advice:)

20200728_224946.jpg

20200728_224908.jpg

I took the easy route on my AN-H-15. I just removed the ring off the receiver and placed the receiver in the hole. They look good and they don't fall out and I didn't have to mess around with streching anything..

Now if I was going to fly with these, I would want them properly mounted, But sitting on a shelf I saw no need.

If I do have to do this again, I might give Paul's idea a try.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 11 months later...

Hi Group,

I recently picked up this A-11 helmet with the receivers.  Looks to me that the receivers aren’t properly seated into the rubber ear cups…

I found this thread after a search.  I am hoping that with the aid of some dish soap and a butter knife, I can get them seated properly.  I don’t think unscrewing them would help at this point?

-Derek

9521C047-4CDB-445B-9234-5AC6B90EB55C.jpeg.c41424132266de860ff2684f05bf31cd.jpeg

4EA0B3EC-A234-4B44-AB38-331462E5DA24.jpeg.e19dde25f8fadb8c5a94715d60422556.jpeg

EF77981E-C2DA-4EF1-876D-2596E4891199.jpeg.b45fb3c8ca74ad4967c69cbef5dffb7f.jpeg

pararaftanr2

Agreed, at this point, unscrewing won't help. You might try pushing on the earphone from inside the helmet with both thumbs, if they are not totally unseated from the rubber cup, to pop them back in place. It's worked before. Good luck!

Man, I tried pushing them in with my thumbs and the only thing that happened was my thumbs are now sore from the effort!  Looks like this won’t be easy at all… ☹️

• 5 months later...