Attributed USMC WAKE ISLAND Group

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

This is the first attributed Wake Island group I've had. The story of their sacrifice is incredible.
Gifford L. Haley lost his life on 8 December 1941 as a Marine airman serving in the defense of Wake Island.  Included are original photo’s,  his USMC Expeditionary medal MNo.9572 with as issued WAKE ISLAND bar and rarer than the medal, his FDR death accolade noting loss on Wake Island.

wake4.jpg

wake2.jpg

wake5.jpg

wake8.jpg

wake3.jpg

wake1.jpg

wake7.jpg

wake6.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow, very nice group; those early campaigns are so interesting because a handful tried to fend off the masses and often sacrificed everything to stem the tide. 

Kurt

Andrew,

You are KILLING it with these posts of great items from your collection. PLEASE keep posting them!

Was there a Purple Heart with the grouping?

Allan

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks all!  Knowing what is in some of your collections, that is high praise!  Proud to be his caretaker.

manayunkman

I would say that you have an identified group and an historic one as well. 

First one I’ve ever seen. 

Was he air crew?

Andrew, what a great grouping!!!  You are very blessed to have it. I really enjoy your posts. Keep them coming. Dave

Andrew,

A very historic and poignant group...thank you for sharing the images and this Marine's story!

Mike

17 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Was there a Purple Heart with the grouping?

I am curious about that too! 

Or perhaps other items?

Regards

Herman 

wartimecollectables.com

I showed all I have. I know a small paper relating to his unit receiving a Unit Commendation sold on eBay a while back, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the Heart is in private hands and the family apparently doesn't have it.

Brian Dentino

Wow, Andrew this is a jaw dropping-ly rare and historic grouping to a brave Marine who was killed so early on in what at the time must have felt like (to them at least) a hopeless and futile resistance to a far superior IJN force.  This is the stuff of legend and it is such a delight to be able to see a real, and attributed group to one of the brave men who sacrificed their life in such a famous battle so early in the conflict!  Simply outstanding and a real pleasure to view.

9 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

I showed all I have. I know a small paper relating to his unit receiving a Unit Commendation sold on eBay a while back, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the Heart is in private hands and the family apparently doesn't have it.

Okay, thanks for the reply. 

A one in a million find. Great medal.

Regards

Herman 

If I were a betting man, I would bet that his wife received his KIA Purple Heart. Once she remarried, the Next of Kin moved to his mother. The Expeditionary and Wake Island bar would have been forwarded to her. I think that is why the medals aren't together.

Thanks again for sharing the grouping Andrew!

Allan

Rakkasan187

Andrew,

This is an absolutely stunning group.. You are the right caretaker for this grouping..

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Best regards and stay safe

Leigh

Kurt Barickman

I think what Allan stated makes sense; didn't the Purple Heart certificate and the FDR accolade usually come in the same mailing tube? I am sure someone on this forum can't tell us when both documents began to be sent to the KIA families?

Kurt

48 minutes ago, Kurt Barickman said:

I think what Allan stated makes sense; didn't the Purple Heart certificate and the FDR accolade usually come in the same mailing tube? I am sure someone on this forum can't tell us when both documents began to be sent to the KIA families?

Kurt

Some dude on the forum wrote a book about this stuff... Anyway, on page 495 and 496 of the book, it has the tube for the accolade and the large mailing envelope for the Purple Heart certificate, sent at different times through the war by the Navy Department.