M-1 36th Infantry Division Helmet

Pat13

Howdy from Texas,

I've recently acquired an M-1 helmet with hand painted 36th infantry division insignia on both sides.

This is a rear seam post WWII helmet possibly Korea era, but I know that the 36th infantry division was used as a State Guard post WWII. 

I'd like your opinions on its authenticity as I mainly collect WWII German helmets.  

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

unnamed4.jpg

unnamed5.jpg

unnamed6.jpg

unnamed7.jpg

unnamed8.jpg

unnamed9.jpg

unnamed10.jpg

unnamed11.jpg

unnamed12.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I thiiink the shell is November 1944- August 1945 McCord production but I'm not certain on that. The shell chinstraps were made between 1962-1964. The liner was made between 1954 and 1964, the sweatband looks like a Steinberg Bros which would make it 1971-????

As for the painted insignia, I'm not experienced with telling fakes but it looks fine to me, and most people who would fake a helmet would fake a WWII helmet, not post-war, as that's where the money is.

Nice helmet. 

@ArchangeIDM The paint is coming out brighter after I put the images through adobe Lightroom. 

The second to the last image is the closest I can get to the natural color. 

ArchangelDM

Hi Pat 

in the first few pics the paint actually looks wet, makes sense now as you are using adobe light room.  
That last pic looks good 👍🏻 Without the light right on it 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Wow! I am on my phone now and I see what you mean, the blue is absolutely glowing! It looked completely different on my old computer monitor

The style is correct for the “thin” T Patch helmet, but the color and lateness of the production makes me think if it is legit, it is likely some sort of NG piece. Like the others said everything but the shell is pretty whack. Here is a photo of the color on an original T Patch helmet owned by another collector. Yours looks to be a brighter blue even in your last non-adobe photo which was more common after the war.

07fc276cfe9c08faf8c10df40d542679.jpg

7cdb1c27fccae62484f49c8221a7a1b1.jpg

9c32c0fc381e5176f042aacf0d513919.jpg

While not an exact shade match, yours tends to make me think of the tealish blue that became popular with the postwar NG. Considering it retained close to the original style, if its not just a repaint someone tried to pass off for sale, it was probably a late 40s or early 50s helmet.

iron bender
On 7/27/2020 at 3:15 PM, 36thIDAlex said:

Very possible this could also be a reenactor piece.

This helmet reminds me very much of the Camp Mabry 36th ID reenactors back in the 80's or early 90's.