VN Hi-Power Holster?

green hell

I recently bought this holster in an auction. It was described as a Vietnam era Hi-Power holster. What is the verdict on this? It's obviously not US mfg and doesn't look to be rigger made. I would like to put it with the web gear on my MAC V SOG  mannequin. I would also like to acquire a Hi-Power to put in it, but am unsure as to which model was carried. I have heard Canadian, Belgian, German and even Chinese. Wood grips, plastic grips, shoulder stock slot, no slot. I could not find a satisfactory answer on the Forum, so any information would be greatly appreciated. It's very confusing and I want my display to be historically accurate. The few SOG guys I know personally did not carry Hi-Powers. There's a slot for a takedown tool inside, but no place for a spare magazine. Thoughts?

thumbnail_IMG_3022.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3023.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3024.jpg

Doctorofwar

Looks to me like a British HP holster (the Canadians also issued a similar one differing in the markings). The hooks on the back are made to fit on a British pattern web belt.  I am unaware of any US troops using this type of holster.  The Browning HP handgun fits in US holsters designed to hold a 1911. 

Thank you, sir. I will not use it with my mannequin, then. Still would like advice on what hi-Power was procured for use across the fence by CISO or the CIA, or if there is a different pistol which would better represent a common 'sterile' sidearm. I have heard of guys taking 1911s, as they were pretty ubiquitous by this time - Chris

Doctorofwar

I believe they were FN (Belgian) made HPs that were available on the commercial market in the 1960s.  I’ll see if I have further in any of my books.  

Doctorofwar

My reference material doesn’t get too specific, but everything points to FN made HPs.  There is a thread on this forum in which someone has a HP in their collection that was once owned by a Vietnam SF soldier- may want to search for that for further details or confirmation.

Of course truly sterile weapons were captured enemy weapons.  There is reference to guys carrying captured TT33 Tokarevs or Chim-Com Type 51 and 54 copies, as well as other foreign weapons in inventory such as WW2 surplus German P38s.   

• 2 months later...
316th FS 324th FG
On 7/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, Doctorofwar said:

My reference material doesn’t get too specific, but everything points to FN made HPs.  There is a thread on this forum in which someone has a HP in their collection that was once owned by a Vietnam SF soldier- may want to search for that for further details or confirmation.

Of course truly sterile weapons were captured enemy weapons.  There is reference to guys carrying captured TT33 Tokarevs or Chim-Com Type 51 and 54 copies, as well as other foreign weapons in inventory such as WW2 surplus German P38s.   

This is correct, FN made. Some of those same weapons were still in inventory and carried by us in other high threat overseas environments as late as the mid-90's

FN Belgian made with cone hammer.No external extractor.Not slotted. These were not surplus Inglis.

From what I understand the pistols were purchased by the CIA from the Belgian govt and then channeled to SOG.

This was posted on a page..

image.png.f9e2da763726a05321adfdd5cf368fd5.png

A friend of mine has one he obtained from “friends” in the Special Forces when he was in Vietnam. He was an E-5, was in RVN in 1966. I have seen pictures of him wearing tiger stripes and carrying an M2 carbine. I have known him for 45 years and still don’t know what his MOS was or just what he did there. I have seen and handled the High Power many times over the years, it is a standard commercial manufacture of the period with no special markings.

Steve

• 3 months later...
316th FS 324th FG
On 10/1/2020 at 4:32 AM, doyler said:

This is almost identical to my issue HP in 1991.

FN Belgian made with cone hammer.No external extractor.Not slotted. These were not surplus Inglis.

From what I understand the pistols were purchased by the CIA from the Belgian govt and then channeled to SOG.

This was posted on a page..

image.png.f9e2da763726a05321adfdd5cf368fd5.png

On 7/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, kammo-man said:

British 58 pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely agree.

• 7 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, Nkomo said:

Completely agree.

Aye - '58 pattern holster, I need one for my Inglis if anyone has for sale.

D&B have a '58 holster/belt/mag/rod for 75GBP - but getting stuff from the UK is always a drag.