Questions About “Theatre Made” Knives

BryanJ

In scanning EBay, I’ve seen hundreds of theatre made knives. My question about these knives, is that they are almost always represented as WWII era knives.  Since these are essentially shop made knives, how could you ever attribute theses knives to any particular era, theatre, country, etc.  I’ve seen one collectors book on these type knives and haven’t bought it yet, but if it’s hard enough to identify a legitimate US Military Knife from a fake, how could you ever buy a theatre made knife on anything other than faith?

Bryan, you have echoed my very thoughts.  I don't collect "theater knives", however, if one presents itself that is outstanding in some way, I'll buy it.  There are indicators that might reflect a certain style consistent with WWII made knifes, but how can one be sure a particular knife was made aboard a ship somewhere, or in a garage in Cincinnati?

Here's a knife that was in my father-in-law"s tackle box.

This is not a knife that I would call a theater knife, and it's definitely not pretty (maybe pretty awful).  However, IT COULD BE!  Who could argue. Apparently, documentation is not required.

Thanks for bringing it up.  

Marv 

resized_IMG_2614.JPG

resized_IMG_2615.JPG

Having collected theater knives (among others) there are a number of characteristics that seem to repeat if you exam enough of them.  If you read the book on theater knives you can begin to see the patterns.  That being said, I believe most of the theater knives for sale on line and at shows are not made by soldiers or marines for use on the front lines.  There are shop knives that were made in large amounts by Naval personnel in the Pacific and USAAF people in the the ETO.  Technically these are theater knives but generally not carried by the troops.  There are also shop made knives made in the US that were shipped to soldiers and marines.  Finally, there are many handmade knives that pose as theater knives so as to bring in more money.  It is not easy to determine which.   I follow a few simple rules; I don't spend too much, I make sure there is a sheath, and I look for characteristics that I have seen in confirmed theater knives.  Even then, I pass on 95% of the knives that I might buy and limit the number I have because in the end, most of them have to be taken on faith.

I have noticed, like BryanJ that the ebay knife sites are flooded with shop knives. Since I don't collect them, and only know a few of the well known makers, I just stay away from them. Granted, some are very well done, some are just plain cool, and most are functional.  But, I just have no interest, especially with no provenance.  If you collect them, there is sure a wide open field of availability.  SKIP

Anyone want to post photos of what they consider to be a legit theatre made knife and explain basic characteristics?  Probably a lot of folks on here would find that very interesting.   

I don't collect theater made knives BUT I will purchase one if it passes some of my personal tests:

1. Is it visually appealing to me in some way or well made?

2. Any provenance?

3. Does it come with a scabbard?

4. Is condition good?

Number 2 above can be the most challenging. If I buy one of these knifes, I really like to see a named piece. Either on the scabbard or the knife itself.

For example, I purchased this knife about 15 years ago at an antique show. It hit all 4 from the list above including provenance. It's named to Harry Adriance and dated. Research shows he was with the 100th Division in Europe.

MVC-771S.JPG

MVC-772S.JPG

MVC-774S.JPG

Not a theater knife but close. This was made in the States for the war effort. An interesting (to me) looking knife with an aluminum handle BUT I could tell it was named when I saw it laying on the guys blanket at a local flea market. It cost me a whopping $7.

Through research, I found out the man, Gene Orth, served aboard the USS Vestel.

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-018S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

Not a theater made knife but it was a theater repaired Kinfolks knife.  Inherited from my Uncle who served in the European theater. My uncle was a crew chief with a fighter group so he had access to machinery. If I saw this knife somewhere for sale, I would have given it little thought and walked right past. But knowing first hand who it belonged to, I now prize it.

Bob_Bland_knife_(4).jpg

Not a theater made knife but similar in principle.  A rather ordinary KBAR knife but the provenance written into the leather sheath is everything to me. 

The lesson I've learned is to always check the knife and scabbard for information as it may make all the difference.

DSCF0629.JPG

Doctorofwar

I will buy a shop made/theater/home front shop made knife if the price is right and it looks alright to my eye.  What I prefer are USGI knives that have had handles or sheaths replaced with what look to be characteristic period replacements- sometimes referred to as “theater handled” or “theater sheath”.  If they are personalized, all the better. 
Here is one of my “theater handled” KA-BARs with a period replacement sheath. Pommel is a heavy piece of brass, the handle is plexiglass.  
The sheath is marked- New Guinea, Philippines, Marshalls, (unreadable), Hawaii.

second pic is this knife and another KA-BAR with a replacement handle made of plexiglass and rubber. 

5B2CD855-8165-4C45-BE2F-986380680E19.jpeg

9F9A8FE2-EB91-4A20-9AF1-8F5B1AB25AC8.jpeg

Here's one that I bought at an estate sale years ago.  I have several rehandled Ka-bars, MK2s, MK1s, but don't generally consider them "Theater Knives" as much as a separate category of WW2 knives.

BigKnifeB.jpg

Doctorofwar

Here is one made from the reground tip of an M1905 bayonet blade.  Handle is made of heavy brass and aluminum. Heavy leather sheath with USN and Fouled Anchor decoration along with some initials and an unfortunately a no longer legible name.

86FCDE65-DD47-4567-947E-98D9CD9E8DBA.jpeg