Latest airship: Second N.S. Meyer pattern

rathbonemuseum.com

rathbonemuseum.com

i recently acquired my second N.S. Meyer airship. Interesting in that it is different enough from the first one. Though both are legit wings. The first was a silver marked Sterling badge with a roll-over safety catch and impressed N.S. Meyer stamp. The second is silver wash or plate over brass or bronze. The catch is a simple C catch.

These are one of 7 makers that John Ferguson (B-17guy) has documented in his article in the ASMIC Trading Post, issue JFM 2015. The other makers are BB&B, Kinney, From Official Die, AE&Co, Wm Link and Blackinton. 

2020-07-18 09.48.45.jpg

2020-07-18 09.49.48.jpg

Tod,

Love it!  I have occasionally toyed with the idea of branching out from WW1 into the pre-WW2 era... Don't worry, I haven't gotten there mentally yet!  At any rate, really wonderful addition to your collection.  Thanks for posting it and congratulations on a stellar acquisition!

Best wishes!

Chris

rathbonemuseum.com

Thank you Chris, very kind. I feel the same way about crossing the 1919 line in the sand...

Very nice.  I have one like the bottom wing pictured.  I was thrilled to get it.  Any real airship wing is precious and rare.

Very nice Meyer Airship Wing Badge!

Very happy to see you won the auction, I was surprised how little attention it got.

Best, John

ps: Thanks for mentioning my ASMIC article

Hello Todd,

I would also like to extend my congratulations for adding another interesting badge to your fine collection. 

Along with the companies listed above that made alloy Airship pilot badges, I would mention American Metal Crafts before it was acquired by AE&Co.  In addition, there were a few that produced embroidered examples but few can be named; however, one was Dusenbury & Schwab, Inc.  Maybe other members of the forum can add to the list. 

For those interested, on this website there is a thread devoted primarily to U.S. Army Airship pilot badges. See: https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35949-airship-pilot-wing-badge-die-making-a-badge/

Kind regards, Cliff