• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An old solid wood scratchbuilt P-47, Hawker Typhoon, P-38 Lightning, P-51 Mustang and a Mosquito ( built from wood taken from damaged Mosquitos )  recently acquired along with several dozen other WW1, interwar and WW2 aircraft types.

THUNDERBOLT STBD.JPG

TYPHOON STBD.JPG

P38 LIGHTNING PORT.JPG

MUSTANG RAF 112 SQN 2.JPG

WOOD MOSSIE.JPG

Some are so good at first glance you would think plastic kits........... last photo shows one model with a broken off wingtip and you can see the wood......... many of these came from the model collection of peter Farrar who during the 50's and 60's amassed a collection in excess of 1500 different models. At one point the RAF used to assign one of their transport aircraft to transport the collection to various RAF based airshows around the UK.  The collection was split up many years ago, some of the models still have their Christies auction tags from 1995............ last year a large chunk of around 200 plus models re-surfaced at auction in the UK split over several lots each auction and the auctions over a 6 month time period........ to complicate matters Peter also had a large collection of plastic models in the collection......... all the ones shown here are wooden construction.

WOOD SE5 PORT.JPG

WOOD SOPWITH CAMEL PORT.JPG

ME109 PORT.JPG

IMG_9422.JPG

A few more.......... hard to believe but they are all wooden construction........... the Mig-17 Fresco I was convinced was a plastic kit until I really checked it out closely and by looking up the tail pipe you can see the woodgrain........... the ribbing on the earlier biplanes has been created by laying thread over the wings before painting...... all incredible work. There are many more, some are keepers, many are to be moved on.......... I don't have the space to keep them all.

DE HAVILLAND 6011 STBD.JPG

FAIREY SEAL PORT.JPG

IMG_9706.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

SOPWITH BABY PORT.JPG

ME110 STB.JPG

MIG-17 FRESCO PORT.JPG

These came in on Wednesday this week, they are more representative of the quality wartime made models are made to, they have a certain charm of their own along with some of the old wartime made as toys aircraft that I find, see last 3 images..........

AVRO ANSON STBD.JPG

BEAUFORT PORT.JPG

BLACKBURN BOTHA STBD.JPG

DEFIANT STARBOARD.JPG

HAMPDEN PORT.JPG

HURRICANE STBD.JPG

JU87 STUKA STBD.JPG

MAGISTER PORT.JPG

ME110 PORT.JPG

havoc 2.jpg

IMG_8093 (1).JPG

IMG_9504.JPG

Very impressive.  I am old enough to remember when you could still find wooden models on the shelf along with the early plastic ones.  I think I even owned a wooden B-47 kit that I never even attempted.  I could not imagine getting this level of detail out of the blocks of wood that they provided.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The skill involved to turn a box full of pieces of wood into a great looking model...... way beyond my skill set.

There are some interesting wartime iitems still out there waiting to be found like this Astral model Hurricane kit with wartime restriction on sales label

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Another grouping of solid wooden models, found a few at a flea market from a house clearance....... then 12 months later a dealer turned up at an antiques market with maybe a couple of hundred different models, many similar construction and finish to these...... still haven't managed to discover their origin or age......... all around 1:72 scale.

CONSOLIDATED RY-3 PORT.JPG

BOEING 247.JPG

CURTIS COMMANDO PORT.JPG

DC 2.JPG

DEWOITINE.JPG

IMG_8838.JPG

JU 90.JPG

IMG_8843.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

LANCASTRIAN PORT.JPG

PBM MARINER SEAPLANE.JPG