WWII USN grouping with boxed (?) Flat Hat

mvmhm

Today a couple donated the wife's Grandfather's WWII uniforms. One of the uniforms is a nice pre-1940 dress whites jumper...I found that odd since he didn't enlist until 1943 or 44. One item in the group is his Flat Hat, which came in the box shown. Apparently it's always been in it...is this the correct box or????

IMG_20200725_153038_01.jpg

IMG_20200725_114431.jpg

IMG_20200725_150043.jpg

First answer is yes, that is the box that was issued with the flat hat. Probably the rarest part of the grouping as most were tossed to make more room, hat having the head band folded flat. 

the dress white jumper became an option in 1940. I understand that while no longer in regs, some were still issued out to use up stocks. This jumper was never worn as there are no cuff stripes or branch mark on the shoulder. Just plain “As Issued”. Very nice. 

Thanks...I was really surprised when they pulled the box out...glad to know it's the right box for the hat....do you know what the nomenclature stands for i.e "Cap B. C."?

Mark sends

16 hours ago, mvmhm said:

...do you know what the nomenclature stands for i.e "Cap B. C."?

Cap, blue cloth.

33 minutes ago, Justin B. said:

Cap, blue cloth.

Thanks Justin!  I knew it was something like that I was thinking “ cover “of the cap, being blue. No one up through my day, in the Navy referred to a hat or cap as a “Cover”, but some caps had “covers”. 

36 minutes ago, Justin B. said:

Cap, blue cloth.

6 hours ago, sigsaye said:

Thanks Justin!  I knew it was something like that I was thinking “ cover “of the cap, being blue. No one up through my day, in the Navy referred to a hat or cap as a “Cover”, but some caps had “covers”. 

"Blue cloth cap" is kind of an odd terminology. Maybe they were going for something that wouldn't be confused with the CPO cap.

14 hours ago, Justin B. said:

"Blue cloth cap" is kind of an odd terminology. Maybe they were going for something that wouldn't be confused with the CPO cap.

The caps worn by officers and CPOs were called “Cap, Combination”, due to it, at one time having multiple colored covers you changed depending on uniform. In my day, we had white, khaki or Aviation Green

many years ago, when I was in Boot Camp, an old Chief Boatswains Mate, told us all, “Sailors and Old Ladies wear Hats, Marines and Trash Cans wear Covers”!  That, always stuck with me.