KW USAF Ike with blue collar backings

mvmhm

I'd previously posted some pictures of an Ike I found on-line for a ridiculously low price. It arrived today and was even better condition than I thought. it's has a 1951 contract date and only a 34R so on the tiny side. The collar disks are backed with light blue felt (?)...the dealer's photo only showed a PUC (which is a pin-on) but inside the breast pocket was his ribbon bar..the narrow crimped style ribbons. It would have been great to have some more service stripes or overseas bars, but I'm pretty pleased with it as is.  Other than one very tiny moth hole on the reverse, it looks brand new.

1951 ike jacket.jpg

Here's the collar brass. They look like today's chrome/stay brite, but they're actually satin finished, albeit with some tarnishing.

Mark sends

collar.jpg

Left side.jpg

huntssurplus

Especially interesting that it has the light blue for infantry branch. Wonder if maybe he was prior army infantry, or if the USAF had another meaning for that color?

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is only a guess and a direction for you to research. At one time the Air Force NCO Academy wore a single loop on their shoulder strap similar to the Army Leadership Tab but in light blue. These backings may be something along those lines, maybe a different school or time period. Just a thought take it for what it is worth.