U.S. 1944 Brass Lamp

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Came across this brass lamp but cant figure out what is it's exact purpose or it's nomenclature.  Only marking I see are U.S. 44 on the bottom and the glass is marked P.S. CO.  Heavy & well made, has some colored plastic filters.  Measures about 8 inches tall.  Thanks for any help!

Rob 

unlamp1.jpg

The Rooster

I dont know, just a guess, but its prob not Navy... No anchor...

Maybe a lantern off a military Railroad ? The Army ran railroads

in the ETO. Just a guess.... because it looks sort of similar to a railroad style lantern

with the handle at the top..

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for the comments.  The points that both of you have made had already crossed my mind.  I thought it might have been U.S. Navy but as you said, with the lack of the typical USN marking I discounted that.  Could it have been made for railroad use?  I suppose that's a possibility.  As far as trench art goes I guess that's also possible but I think it's just made too perfect.

Rob   

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll have to look thru my manuals but at one time I collected army flashlights and I think I may have run across one of these in a manual indicating it was a runway marker lamp. It has been a while so I could be mistaken. 

Fixbayonets!
21 hours ago, ccyooper said:

I’ll have to look thru my manuals but at one time I collected army flashlights and I think I may have run across one of these in a manual indicating it was a runway marker lamp. It has been a while so I could be mistaken. 

I would appreciate that, thank you!  Since the light is directed upward it could very well be a runway lamp.

Rob