Marine M1917A1 Helmet

GSP

I'm looking for some opinions on this M1917A1, it has a hole drilled for an EGA. What's interesting to is that it has "U.S.M.C" stamped under the heat stamp of the helmet. I've never seen a helmet stamped like this before.

It was really bright outside, but here's some photos in natural light, with flash.
DSC06812.JPG.da9089154834247941e0eadd58bf3a82.JPG
Notice the "B" scratched into the liner. It looks like someone used some type of leather treatment on the liner.
DSC06811.JPG.2c01cbffeded7c3488efec9acc46f4af.JPG
The Marine's name is scratched into the helmet.
DSC06808.JPG.4ec88af67469dc8688c2e2019a3e90c5.JPG
Has anyone seen anything like this "USMC" helmet stamp before?
DSC06810.JPG.9baa64174712629c95f7d9485bd2355d.JPG

DSC06809.JPG

Any opinions on the authenticity of the hole drilled for the EGA? Also, if original, what type of EGA should be mounted on the helmet?
DSC06814.JPG.b381147fab7d0177fa2d7b83544b0233.JPG

I haven't see that before, but wonder if the USMC wasn't added at a location where soldiers and Marines frequented the same training areas (like Oahu) so if it was lost, it could be identified as USMC property. 

8 hours ago, MattS said:

I haven't see that before, but wonder if the USMC wasn't added at a location where soldiers and Marines frequented the same training areas (like Oahu) so if it was lost, it could be identified as USMC property. 

+1 

9 hours ago, MattS said:

I hadn't thought of that before, but that makes a lot of sense as to why someone would stamp a helmet like this. I hope to research the owner of the helmet soon, maybe it'll shed some more light on the history of the helmet.