USN Shallow Water Dive Pump

This is a USN shallow water dive air pump. It is in okay shape but needs a handle, some hose and some fittings. I will try and restore this one to a more presentable condition. 

These were made around 1916 and used by the Navy well into the 1950s. Here is a navy picture of one in use. The picture is from the 1943 USN Dive Manual. 

The next picture is the condition I found this pump. The last is after a little cleaning and mounted on a board. I am in the process of making a handle. 

Chris

9673F4F2-04D8-4685-80EE-8B22A2159781.jpeg

1B29E6D3-1A53-4212-BEF0-71C2F8D28565.jpeg

917B9F3B-2E3E-4576-A280-16520EEAED64.jpeg

I made a handle for the pump. Might have to make some wood scales for the handle. 

It appears there is not much interest in this old diver’s air pump. 

B89BBE26-EFBB-4868-80A8-6271900AC897.jpeg

Doctorofwar

I’d bet a lot of people wouldn’t know what that was by looking at it without your description.  Does it still pump?

54 minutes ago, Doctorofwar said:

I’d bet a lot of people wouldn’t know what that was by looking at it without your description.  Does it still pump?

Thank you for the comment. Yes this one still moves air. The pump could use new seals to be really efficient. 

Would love to find a helmet and hose to make the set. 

Chris

Doctorofwar

The helmets are quite pricey- I think they appeal to many different collecting fields.  I have had my eye out for one myself- one of those things that I dream of finding at a garage sale or something.

That is really cool, it would be neat to have a working set. I cant imagine it would be comfortable to dive in tho. 

Thanks for the comments. I am still looking for air fittings and a hose right now. Would be nice to find an affordable helmet, but that is not likely.  

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, digi-shots said:

Hey Chris... just saw your posting.

Very cool looking... I would never have guessed what it was.

Thank you Linda. This is a somewhat unusual piece 😂