Robeson No 20 wood grips

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I came across this Robeson No. 20 and needed a few opinions.  I looked around for other Robeson No. 20's but could not find another with wooden grips.  I have a book by Cole that mentions wooden grips but does not show an example.  One side of the grip is ordnance stamped.  My questions are is the wood grip on this knife correct?  If so, it appears to me that someone had applied a coat of shellac to grips?  Just wanted to confirm that is not the original finish on the grips before I go ahead and do something I might regret by removing it.   Any help letting me know what I have here would be appreciated, thanks!

Rob

robe1.jpg

Fixbayonets_ I have never seen a wooden gripped MK1 before either. Also have never seen an Ordinance bomb on any USN MK1 or MK2. Maybe some type of shop repair aboard ship. Very well done! THX for showing!  SKIP

I am not a knife collector, but I have some observations:The condition of scabbard and knife don't match. The type of wood used reminds me of Indian reproductions of khukri knives. A field repair shop would not use an Ordnance Corps acceptance mark, in my opinion. As far as I know the Ordnance Corps was Army, not Navy. Are you sure the knife/blade itself is original? To be honest I would pass this on, when I found it at a flea market. Maybe that would have been a mistake.

Fixbayonets!

Thanks for all the comments thus far.  Yes, I am sure the knife & blade are original, it's just the grips that are in question.   I agree it's very well done and the grip fit is flawless.  I just wanted to make sure this was not some kind of rare variation or anything like that, sometimes you never know.

Rob

I like the rework, and would buy it in a heart beat at a flea market, stating the point that it is not original, nor really collectible, but very functional. The sheath looks original, but could be wrong. Note there is a USN stamp near the top.  SKIP

Looking closer are they blunted and filled in screws holding the grips in place? Actually the one looks different than the other.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fixbayonets!

I thought the holes for the screws were just gunked up with shellac.   I am not sure if they are blunted but I see what you are talking about.  I think they are both the same just one hole has less filler in it showing the end of the screw.

I have more than a few "curiosity" pieces.  I could do without the ordinance stamp which I'm sure is something it received after it became a civilian item. That being said I'd also add the item to my stuff.