My early Colt 1917

spagg

I have had this for a while, just a little board today so I thought I would put up some pics. Serial 27075,  marked “COLT’S PT.F.A. MFG.CO. HARTFORDCT.USA” over “PAT’D AUG. 5, 1884. JUNE 5,1900. JULY 4, 1905.” The left side of the barrel is stamped “COLT D.A. 45. I can't really pin point the actual birth date maybe some one can help with this. Not pretty do to the fact it's been there an done that condition with Holster. I wish it could talk! 

Sal

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ronald said:

Another plus!! I always wanted a nice1911 to go with my campaign hats. Is that an engineer or artillery cord?

Engineer cord is my best guess on it. Ron did you notice the shoe string chinstrap? I thought at first that someone had just put the shoe string on to replace a original lost chinstrap, but not so these shoe laces were actually used on the early hats I was told. LOL

The shoestring tie is absolutely correct and a plus as most were removed. Just sent you a Pm with a link to my hat thread.

Ron

That’s one beautiful 1911! How did you acquire it? I’d love to hear the story if you have one! 

9 hours ago, ColtM1911 said:

That’s one beautiful 1911! How did you acquire it? I’d love to hear the story if you have one! 

9 hours ago, ColtM1911 said:

I picked it up by word of mouth at a local swap meet from a older Gentleman. Not much of a story other than he had it for years.

The Colt serial number is stamped into the frame under the crane. Plug it into this website and it will tell you the year it was made.

https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

2 hours ago, collector said:

Any close-ups of the 1911 available?

Sure,  but it won't be until later in the week.

Info on the late War Victory Model lend leased out to the Britts.

1.  5" Barrel stamped Smith & Wesson on one side, the other side is stamped 38 S&W CTG with two British Crowns an a NP stamping.
2. Top rail is stamped: US Property G.H.D.
3. "P" stamped for proof marking. Upper left side of the frame by Hammer.
4. Stamped just to the right above the trigger is: "Made in U.S.A." with "flaming bomb". Above this is stamped: Not English Made.
5. Finish is called Black Magic which had a black oxide metal finish to it.
6. Nice S&W logo
7. Nice smooth finished wooden grips with matching serial numbers to the pistol.
8. Military serial number: v735448
9.  The five-digit number from the frame-yoke area is just an assembly number95771 both side of frame.
10. Cylinder stamped with matching serial numbers.
11. Caliber 38 S&W not 38 special!

9 hours ago, spagg said:

Info on the late War Victory Model lend leased out to the Britts.

1.  5" Barrel stamped Smith & Wesson on one side, the other side is stamped 38 S&W CTG with two British Crowns an a NP stamping.
2. Top rail is stamped: US Property G.H.D.
3. "P" stamped for proof marking. Upper left side of the frame by Hammer.
4. Stamped just to the right above the trigger is: "Made in U.S.A." with "flaming bomb". Above this is stamped: Not English Made.
5. Finish is called Black Magic which had a black oxide metal finish to it.
6. Nice S&W logo
7. Nice smooth finished wooden grips with matching serial numbers to the pistol.
8. Military serial number: v735448
9.  The five-digit number from the frame-yoke area is just an assembly number95771 both side of frame.
10. Cylinder stamped with matching serial numbers.
11. Caliber 38 S&W not 38 special!

Very nice SW. I recently picked up a similar one, 1905 in 32-20 Winchester image.jpeg.f9154212d49ed3a413306b58f000fbc5.jpegimage.jpeg.537baa73ab4ad4cb11e9dddb2f80607a.jpegcaliber for one of my car guns ,$100. Interesting history , 32-20 Winchester was the primary civilian caliber from 1896-1940, military wanted .38, which they got....my 13 year old out shot me. These " oldies" wheel guns are my absolute favorite shooters.

14 hours ago, 917601 said:

Very nice SW. I recently picked up a similar one, 1905 in 32-20 Winchester image.jpeg.f9154212d49ed3a413306b58f000fbc5.jpegimage.jpeg.537baa73ab4ad4cb11e9dddb2f80607a.jpegcaliber for one of my car guns ,$100. Interesting history , 32-20 Winchester was the primary civilian caliber from 1896-1940, military wanted .38, which they got....my 13 year old out shot me. These " oldies" wheel guns are my absolute favorite shooters.

Nice, mine was built in Nov 1944.

• 2 weeks later...