Unusual colored Winged prop patch on WWI uniform

juvatwad

I haven't seen this one before, and I'd appreciate any info. It's on the right shoulder of a WW1 sgt's tunic. The rest of the tunic looks OK in pictures, but I'm curious about this patch.sgt2.jpg.3908e74e966f010c5e20708d94359cc7.jpg

One thing it is not:  It is not a regulation enlisted aviator badge.

The patch's overall construction is unusual for a WW1 era badge.  It appears that the machine embroidered wing and prop is embroidered on blue twill material which is then further sewn to a darker blue or black felt or melton wool background.  The blue color of the twill material is close to the color of various European Air Force uniforms.

So what is it?  I long ago learned to "never say never" when it comes to WW1 era militaria but unless the badge can be definitively identified, I would recommend exercising great caution.  If cheap enough, perhaps it's worth having as a curiosity--there exist period photos of non-regulation enlisted aviator badges.  However, without iron-clad provenance, this badge will always derive more questions than answers.

There may be no underlying intent to deceive.  Veterans often added insignia for wear at reunions, the Legion hall, or VFW.  Regardless, this badge is far outside the norm.

Yes, I’ve never seen anything like it. I should get hands on to have a better look at its construction. If it’s likely something the vet put on there, I’m ok with it. If it looks more like some modern fantasy patch, I’m not.

As an update, I have it in hand now, and here are a couple more pics. I don't know what it is, but  I like it more than I don't.

wingedprop1a.jpg

wingedprop2a.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

It does not look like any foreign military wing styles from that period. I would think would be post war addition of a flying school or private club ("the order of the golden propeller" ha).

A mystery.

He may be an enlisted Pilot. The US trained enlisted men who were airplane mechanics to fly planes from the factory to the front. The way the patches are partially machine embroidered they may be from after the war to interwar period. To see the other sleeve and collar brass would help. The position of the wings is correct. There is a uniform like this at Wright Patterson, you can just see the wing on the right sleeve. Rob5bc2263fe3d9a88a0fe0bb4a6dc6e9cc.jpg3162665_01.jpg070613-F-1234P-011.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

manayunkman

That is incredible and cool as heck!!

Love information like this and you heard it here on USMF.

Airborne-Hunter

Asmic has been publishing some articles on relatively recently identified WW1 aero insignia and I personally believe there are several out there that can still be identified. However the embroidery style of this badge does not appear to be of the WW1 period. The cut edge and embroidery on twill screams 1940s manufacture. It is a very interesting piece, but I highly doubt ww1. Best ABN

A very finely tailored uniform for a sergeant. What are the buttons made of?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk