genuine glider pilot? A.E. Co.

Cabbell2207

Cabbell2207

hello all, was in need of some advice. I saw this glider wing on E-Pay and would like some opinions if its genuine, before a burn my hard earned money lol. Thanks gang.

It looks OK to me although kind of on the high end money wise.  This company also made a clutch back version of this wing as well as producing the very sought after glider pilot wing for the Luxemburg Insignia Company.  However I would wait for the opinions of folks that are hard core flight wing collectors as the only flight wings that I collect are glider pilot wings.

GP1.jpg

GP.jpg

The Rooster

I would think 200 to 250 ?

My guess.

Question, were'nt the Amcraft alphabet wings faked?

Is'nt there a number of fake Amcraft letter wings out there? Seems like I read on the forum at one time

that there were ? Maybe its bad photos, but the back looks strange for some reason which I cant put my finger on

and the whole front is bumpy pitted etc.

Maybe its just me ?

Cabbell2207

ok, thanks rooster77. that's what put me off as well im just not sure. the wear on the wing does look good though.

I can only agree with the comments above - authentic but pricey.

I'm not sure what Amcraft has to do with this thread as the example in question is A.E.Co (American Emblem Company). The reverse is typical for genuine AECo wings, with a cast appearance (same for the front - relatively weak detail). They may even have been die-cast rather than die-struck however, you'll probably find some nice shear marks on the edges indicating they were at least die trimmed. Hardware is correct for an AECo pinback.

Regards

Mike

Here are the ones Tonomachi referred to from AE co and Luxenburg for comparison.  I think it's a genuine wing and the back is fine.  The pitting on the front is a result of the extreme close up and the wear of the finish on the wing.  The $200-250 price range would be nice but the seller will probably not have too much of a problem at that price.  20200724_200025_copy_1189x1003.jpg.63acddcbc365d120d463df50be8b2d2b.jpg

20200724_200055_copy_1189x1328.jpg

Cabbell2207

beautiful wings!. well a small update lol, i was going to pass the wings up when my amazing wife went ahead and purchase them for me a my anniversary gift. ill post them when they arrive. thank you for all the help gang.

I don't want to nitpick, but shouldn't the wings be displayed in alphabetical order?!?! :lol: In all seriousness, I think that you have picked up a great wing. Yes, it was a little pricey, but one of these days, you'll be telling another collector what you gave for them and they will say that they wished that they had a time machine to go back and find more. You didn't pay too much, you just paid a little early. I don't think the price was that far out of the realm these days either.

One not on the AE Wings, the back side of the dies ALWAYS have knocks or dings to them so they end up having what look like little scars there. This wing is 100% and it look right at home in the display case. Congrats on the wing and congrats on the wife! She's a keeper!

Allan

Cabbell2207

Hey thanks Allan 😃 i appreciate the kind words and all the help. well i was never good a spelling lol. you know back in the day i collected third reich and soviet ww2 medals when they were fairly cheep, had to part with them sadly. Say i could use a time machine. 😋