Is this USN MK1 right? (Ebay Robeson)

john k

This MK1 on Ebay really appeals to me to the point where I would consider over paying (BIN price $140).  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2-Era-U-S-N-Robeson-Shuredge-NO-20-Fighting-Utility-Knife-W-Sheath/264767072585

Bill Walters book shows 14 types of Robeson MK1s and this isn't one of them.  (wood pommel, blued blade...).  Does anyone know if this is likely an additional variation, or perhaps a re-blued or otherwise messed with knife?  

Any input appreciated.

John

Definitely looks like a Mark 1. Tough to say about finish. In the closer pics it doesn't look nearly as dark of a blue. I have taken pics of Unissued in the white rifle receivers and they look blued due to lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input.  

What I'm concerned About is that all the knives in Bill's book with wood pommels have "bright" blades.  I'm pretty new to blades, not sure if NOT being shown in Bill's book is a kiss of death, or eternal variations are possible?

No disrespect to Bill W, just looking to better understand how to use his work and not get burned.  

That and I don't want to shell out good cash for a messed with knife....

it looks good to me. MK-1 knives were made by many companies and there were many differences. price may be a bit high but, its a buyers market. you like it---------- buy it.

So not being in Bill's book isn't necessarily a deal breaker?

I do like it.

Just don't want to get duped and buy some repro or  refinished  piece of junk as as an original.  

Robeson MK1's are known to have bright, blued, and parkerized blades.  It would be very hard for one person to collect one of every variant of the MK1's as well as some other knives.

There really isn't a single reference source that can truly cover everything. 

Robeson MK1's are known to have bright, blued, and parkerized blades.  It would be very hard for one person to collect one of every variant of the MK1's as well as some other knives.
There really isn't a single reference source that can truly cover everything. 
It was hard enough to get one of each maker. Glad I bought them before the free money. A few MKI I was watching went over $200. Common PAL RH-35 and Camillus. I did snag another Ka-Bar MkI with USN mark that turned out to be nicer than the pictures.

Here is the extreme I mentioned with lighting. Same rifle. Pics taken same day I believe.d4f048e3bbc93382ab96716ee6028777.jpg1f5cf21e1f986d82b5792e86173c302c.jpg

Yes $200 seems kind of rich for what I consider  two of the most common MK1's your likely to run across, even in NOB condition.  But I've defiantly noticed knives especially the ones in better condition often going for more money in open auctions than I used to see, while the prices for ones with more wear are more likely to go for less than what was normal back a few years ago when the interest level seemed higher. I also see more sellers wanting to market their stuff on the "buy it now" strategy as opposed to open auctions hoping for a good old fashioned bidding war.

7 minutes ago, sactroop said:

Yes $200 seems kind of rich for what I consider  two of the most common MK1's your likely to run across, even in NOB condition.  But I've defiantly noticed knives especially the ones in better condition often going for more money in open auctions than I used to see, while the prices for ones with more wear are more likely to go for less than what was normal back a few years ago when the interest level seemed higher. I also see more sellers wanting to market their stuff on the "buy it now" strategy as opposed to open auctions hoping for a good old fashioned bidding war.

Thanks for the input.  

That said, I’m a little confused by your comment.  I’m asking about one knife, a seemingly odd variant of a common mk1 in what looks to be in pretty good condition.  And it’s listed for $140 BIN (plus $14 shipping),  not $200?

Again, thanks for the input.  I’m just having a hard time understanding what you’re saying.

John

It is of my opinion that these blued or treated blades came later in the production, post November 1943. It was this month where there was a new corrosion resistance requirement placed into affect where Robeson began treating these blades to meet this new amendment.  This would affect all contractors of the Mark I, you'll additionally note their (all contractors) later production are all treated blades. Most of these contractors were using bright blades, but not all. 

It is of an earlier production with USN on the ricasso. In March of 1944, the BuOrd whom procured these knives placed into affect Mark designations on all materials. All Mark I contractors would soon after start all new production with a Mark designator on the ricasso. 

19 hours ago, john k said:

Thanks for the input.  

That said, I’m a little confused by your comment.  I’m asking about one knife, a seemingly odd variant of a common mk1 in what looks to be in pretty good condition.  And it’s listed for $140 BIN (plus $14 shipping),  not $200?

Again, thanks for the input.  I’m just having a hard time understanding what you’re saying.

John

John, sorry for any unintended confusion. My earlier post you quoted was a reply to a post from capt14k. The two, "most common" MK1's I was referring too were from PAL and Camillus, and refers to what we see most often these days.  A few years back it seemed like MK1's from Colonial were available a lot more often also and not so much these days.

On 7/23/2020 at 7:19 PM, capt14k said:

It was hard enough to get one of each maker. Glad I bought them before the free money. A few MKI I was watching went over $200. Common PAL RH-35 and Camillus. I did snag another Ka-Bar MkI with USN mark that turned out to be nicer than the pictures.

Colonial is also one of the ones I see more often for sale.

Ka-Bar, Geneva Forge, Boker, and Western L71 I come across much less often.

Robeson No20 seems to be one of the more commonly encountered Mark I.

On a side note Robeson No21 I have only come across one for sale and I grabbed it.

I've noticed that the original auction has completed, which means the images of this subject knife will disappear in the relatively near future.  This would render this entire thread rather useless at that time.

So here are some of the pictures for this specific knife in the OP.

2145409385_RobesonMK11.jpg.825e078c93aabe9641a2f3288cb4d9b2.jpg2054682643_RobesonMK12.jpg.d1458f80c8a61460bee762224a49ac5b.jpg1494886293_robesonMK13.jpg.5a77c7f128a0d778c1d169bc7e4c0b9e.jpg573105594_robesonMK16.jpg.db2993d49205e6c88d7c5fa1ef0b07ba.jpg886161404_robesonMK15.jpg.a3a61bec702eb1346e5109f618ced96b.jpg27665685_robesonMK14.jpg.d425a1af0d8490393d68d7d65c8dbb2b.jpg

Thanks sactroop

I did buy it, and will post more detailed pictures if I am able to capture them once I have it in hand.  There is a 30 day return policy if anything doesn't check out with in hand inspection.

Thanks again for all the input.

John  

• 3 years later...
John Parker Jr.

Folks, I would appreciate your kindly help on this matter: USN MK1 Robeson Shuredge No.20 (sorry for the off-topic).

I have checked the internet regarding an actual price for it, but seems quite hard to find its real value, so my question is: would you pay $190 on this particular one?

I've seen prices starting from ~$50 up to ~$395, that's why i'm quite confused...

Sactroop mentioned above that $200 would be quite too much, but the post was from 2020.., seems that the prices went a little bit crazy since then.

Thanks a lot!

MK1.JPG

MK1_1.JPG

MK1_2.JPG

MK1_3.JPG

MK1_4.JPG

MK1_5.JPG

MK1_6.JPG

John Parker Jr.
2 hours ago, SKIPH said:

John Parker Jr,- You can do way better than that. Be patient, keep checking around. SKIP

Thanks for your quick answer, SKIP!