Unidentified nuclear weapons detonation patch: USN ATKRON 155

Tonomachi

I don't know if this is a USN or USAF patch but being over water probably USN.  Maybe a Bikini Atoll nuclear weapons test patch which is 4 inches in diameter?  Any ideas?

Bikini.jpg

Bikini1.jpg

I would also guess USN and it looks Japanese made as well... probably late 1940's to early 1950's.

1 hour ago, easterneagle87 said:

Definitely a classic Cold War piece. Pretty ballsy if made in Japan, even for back then.

The Japanese were pretty impoverished at that time.  I am sure they made (and did) a lot of things they did not like in exchange for US dollars.

It's and interesting point though.  I once traded emails with a Pakistani embroidery shop that turned out some of them most intricate and complex Third Reich reproductions you could imagine.  Think of bullion embroidered flags for high Party officials.  I asked them if they had made any Vietnam reproductions.  He replied he had no idea... customers sent him designs and specifications, and he just made what they ordered.  As for the Nazi stuff, they could care less what it represented, swastika or note.

easterneagle87

I’ve seen the patches with the mushroom cloud in the background , A plane flying out at ya (f-4,a-4,etc) and Miller Time underneath. 

16 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

Thanks for the identification.  So the aircraft has to be a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk jet.

The A-4 Skyhawk went into service in 1956.  The squadron did not receive them until 1958.  That might be later than when this patch looks to have been made based on its construction. 

The the squadron apparently flew variations of the A-1 Skyraider variations in 1951, and this maybe the aircraft on the patch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_VA-155_(U.S._Navy)

The A-1 was a prop plane and I don't think it was nuke certified; it would have never avoided the blast from its own bomb! This looks more like an A-4 with the high tail plane, and the A-4 was nuke capable. The patch just looks beat from repeated washings I think. I have several Japan made nuke patches, and I always thought the same thing about how they felt making those. It is a great looking patch regardless.