New trend to enhance a patch

mortaydc60

Thanks to Bob Chatt for opening my eyes to this technique. He recently commented on an MAGSOG patch that there was a question on if it was VN made. The revelation to me was that he noted that the seller had just cut off the merrow edge which really alters the appearance of the patch. I noticed a WW2 84th div patch that looked very different to me on Ebay and saw there was alot of interest and sold for good money. What appears to have happened is that the seller or someone just  simply removed the border  and created a new variation. Just another thing to put away  and look for when buying.

s-l1600-17.jpg

I wouldn’t say it’s a new trend, guys have been doing this for years. They are fairly easy to tell, the borders are rough and not embroidered as they should be. But that won’t stop people from buying them as variants 

You are correct that it is not a new trend but felt it was worth alerting newer collectors on what to look for and be aware of this fact. Even thought it has been done for years these items are getting bidders and I just don't want them to be forum members.

Thanks very much for the information.  I had never thought of this being done, amazing what greed does to a person.