B-6 Flight helmet with goggles

Bones

I just picked these up in a trade. I was told that they have always been together. The flight helmet is clearly marked B-6. My question is the goggles. They are not marked anywhere. They are aluminum framed with no contour to the lenses. They are hinged in the middle. They have an extension of elastic material in the back middle of the head strap. I would like to know what these goggles are. Thanks, Tony

post-736-1232144021.jpg

Hi,

Helmet looks nice, goggles are definitely civilian issue (to me, at least). Probably "Resistance goggles"...

Michael

Nice set up Bones.

In my opinion the goggles are probably Wison manufacture.They made a dust and wing google like these pre war.Could have carried over into service or been used for motor cycle riding after the war.Hard to say.Thats what makes this collecting stuff fun!!

RON

RESISTAL was a brand name. These are similar to (but not identical to) the early US Army tanker goggles, which had a eyepiece backing of gray or tan sponge ribber. Such gogles were also by early parachute troops/instructors and aviators, being supplanted by better types.

These goggles look like a strange repro of RAF Mk II goggles... I don't really know how to call these but it looks like driving goggles. The paper notice (with Air Ministry markings) is just to fool people, to make the goggles look "vintage"

Michael

I did some research in Mick Prodger's book and found that goggles of this general design are EXTREMELY common, both as military and commercial.

WWI: Brit MkII, Resistal NAK, Spaulding and Willson

1920's - 30's: Cesco, Resistal (USN issue), Willson, D. Lewis and Straus & Beugeleisen.

WWII: Brit MkIIIa, Takashimaya (Japan), Resistal and Willson.

Your goggles could almost be any of the above or another unknown brand.

I would submit two scenarios as to why the helmet and goggles are together:

#1. A WWII pilot liked that style goggles as they fit his face better.

#2. (And more likely to me.) A motorcyclist wore the goggles and surplus wool-lined helmet while riding. For instance, our local BMW cycle dealership has photos of the founder riding cycles in the late 40's and 50's wearing a surplus A-4 flight suit.

Take it for what it's worth.

Tom thumbsup.gif