Detective Special/USGI Hip Holster?

Ronald

Not sure if this is the right place and if not feel free to delete.

Does anyone have a pic of the 38 DS hip holster in wear?

"Holster, Hip, For Colt Detective Revolver Cal. .38, 2" Barrel Special"

Thanks

I know the holster is extremely rare and pics are also due to the work the the people were involved in but  something should be out there. Sort through your pics and post!

This is not the type I am looking for but it is  another hip holster for the Colt DS. The group is from the 100th CIC Detachment.

773228.jpg

1943 DS lettered to the Chief, Counter Intelligence Corp, Balitmore, MD, Boyt 1943 hip holster and WW2 ammo.

DSCN9510.JPG

Ronald, that is a beauty,   My Son has my Dads 1949 snub-nose I told him to send me a few pics for you. We also have a early Boyt Holster that fits inside the wastband. I like yours much better. Nice pics!  Do you want me to post it here or via email through the forum?

Sal

12 minutes ago, Ronald said:

Hello Sal

Either way is fine.  Was it a military issue?

Ron

I sent it through your forum email. I will post it if you like? Your question is answered there.

10 minutes ago, spagg said:

I sent it through your forum email. I will post it if you like? Your question is answered there.

Excellent 1949! The Colt Forum  collectors would love to see it.

DocCollector1441

I figured I'd share my Colt Detective Special. My grandfather was San Diego PD for 20 years and this was his off-duty gun. I received it from my father when I became a cop as well and carry it off duty from time to time.

After I received it, I opened it up to inspect it before I tried to shoot it (my dad is not into guns so while he had it it just sat in a drawer) and I found this note inside the handle.

The note in side is dated October 28, 1953 addresses the gun as the property of Albert B. Cate of Navy Fighter Squadron 51.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find much on his service, but Fighter Squadron 51 had gotten off a cruise on USS Valley Forge which was in San Diego (my other grandfather was a aviation machinist mate on Valley Forge during that cruise).

20200729_110044.jpg.4bc669e90434ffee0a31693e9ea1bbf8.jpg20200729_110053.jpg.7c502d9138d146793f5a4c2c23c2b52e.jpg20200729_110350.jpg.def56edf2f57d0fd72ef3985a6eeddea.jpg20200729_110428.jpg.1502ce3c6c1d4468a359b18879329cfb.jpg20200729_110407.jpg.bd01d5c4eb07f7335eed64018e95714d.jpg

Fascinating!  Do you mind sharing the serial number?  You may want to consider getting a letter from Colt Archives to see where/when it shipped originally.

DocCollector1441

I am considering getting a letter from Colt. The serial number itself shows that it was manufactured in 1951. I am not sure I am ready to put up the $75 to get the letter. Because the gun gives the sailor's personal address, I do not think this is a military-issued firearm (although has a certain military connection).

Fantastic piece of history.  Agree that it is not military but there are instances where Colt did ship to military personnel. I believe it would be a wise investment for you to obtain the Colt letter.  It would certainly enhance it even if not ship to the military. If you do send for the  letter also ask them to include the Date of Manufacture in addition to Date of Shipment.

Ron

If you have the hip holster like the one I posted, could you  please post a pic of it. Forum would love to see them.

Thanks.
I would like to see more of the hip holster that I posted with mine though.  Member flick said he has one so hope he post a good pic of it.