WW2 USAAC P-47 Thunderbolt pilot wings

Tonomachi

I came across these pilot wings that look real having what appears to be legitimate patina (not chemically enhanced) as well as wear that you would expect to see on a WW2 era pilot wing.  The outline of the P-47 Thunderbolt looks well made and attached professionally by a jeweler.  Are these legitimate wings or some kind of jeweler made fantasy piece?  If they are legitimate were there other pilot wings with the outline of other aircraft attached like the P-51 Mustang?

P-47 Thunderbolt Pilot Wings (3).jpg

P-47 Thunderbolt Pilot Wings (2).jpg

P-47 Thunderbolt Pilot Wings (5).jpg

The wings are definitely WW2 era. Couldn’t really comment on the aircraft device but it looks convincing in terms of condition and patination.

I would say completely legitimate period add on for novelty use.

I see a couple of ebayer’s are in a major slug fest over it...Chase the item, not the bid...

it is a FOX-made pilot wing. Not very rare, and probably only worth in the 25-50$ range.  The small brass P-47 cutout was probably made in a workshop by a bored crew member who had access to some saws/files and a soldering iron.  Or maybe it was by a pilot who just learned he would be trained to fly P-47s. I've seen various additions to wings over the years--its not common, but it wasn't unheard of either.  Like B17John said, it is more than likely a novelty item--although it is easy to see an ebay auction with "Rare P-47 Ace wing--awarded for outstanding combat flying in the ETO!  Many members of the Tuskeegee airmen wore these. Its the REAL DEAL.  Manufactured by POWs from Stalug 3!"

But I am a cynic.

Still, it is a very neat wing, and one I wouldn't sneer at if the price were correct.  I have a couple of bracelets that were made using old copper/brass wire and a wing.  Clearly made in the workshop.

Here is a small smattering of wings that I have picked up over the years.  Novelty items and/or modifications.

The Juarez wing is touching as it is a women's size bracelet with a gold star.  probably someone's son or husband was killed during the war.  The pink booty wing was given to my dad during Vietnam. He was a non-flying officer in a squadron.  LOL.  The USN aviator wing has the ruptured duck added to it.

The chairborne wings seem to be the most common of the novelty wings.  There are many different variations.

goldstar.jpg

post-1519-1272951790.jpg

post-1519-1272468645.jpg

navy_pilotretired.jpg