Admiral’s Halberd flag finial

hink441

Found this old vintage Admiral’s personal flag Halberd topper today. This one is really nice with some nice wear and tear. 

This finial topper is used for all USN Flag Officers except the CNO. 

This is an older one piece construction version. The more modern Halberds are two pieces fastened together. 

0ABD4A8C-D078-4FB1-907C-284A69080D59.jpeg

A4545918-1CAA-4D60-9097-D888C152457C.jpeg

EACDC3FB-2D57-4029-A029-D6F848C60D6E.jpeg

This style of finial was used on the front (bow) flag pole on launches and correspond to the highest ranking official onboard. 

Halberd:

"The halberd is used for the flagstaffs of flag officers other than the CNO and fleet admirals and for civil officials entitled to a salute of at least 11 but not more than 17 guns.  This ornament was used in the US Navy at least as early as 1853, when Japanese paintings show it topping the staff on which Commodore Matthew C. Perry's broad pennant was carried in processions during his expeditions to Japan.  Nevertheless, the 1920 Navy Regulations stipulated the use of a lance head finial for flag officers' flagstaffs.  The use of the halberd was restored with official blessing in a change to Navy Regulations issued on December 28, 1935." 

***quoted from Joseph McMillan, Sea Flags website

Thank you for all the comments. I also read that the halberd was re-introduced in the 1935 regulations. I however have been unable to find a picture of a halberd currently being used. 

I finally found a picture of the Pacific Fleet Admiral’s barge and it currently flies the halberd on the bow. It is hard to see but the halberd is there. 

1C65E687-28B6-4ECB-874D-B656036136AD.jpeg

I also found a picture of Admiral Nimitz’s barge from WW2. It looks like the halberd is flying atop the National Ensign on the stern. 

6590A199-7FEA-47D0-95DB-F220D8AEA168.jpeg

6804B006-3BD9-48A7-A706-46C7889DB28E.jpeg

Went back to the antique shop and found this one in the same booth. Did not notice this one when I found the Admiral’s Halberd. This one is for a Navy Captain flag finial. 

29CFFF59-E618-4121-9F27-6BED126E73CA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Found another Halberd today at the same antique store. This one is newer and is chrome color. It is the two piece construction but is missing the lower piece. 

Not really sure why it is chrome colored though. It his heavy and a well made piece. 

FDD19796-364F-4644-9F9F-A3A6CD8804A7.jpeg

15 minutes ago, dhcoleterracina said:

To save on gas I'd just leave my number for the next halberd that comes in. Well done. 

Yes that Antique store booth has been very good to me!!!

The chrome color is an unknown to me. 

Thank you for the comments. I try to collect the odd things. I live in the Hampton Roads area and there is no shortage on Naval items to be found in this area. 

Chris

manayunkman
8 hours ago, hink441 said:

Thank you for the comments. I try to collect the odd things. I live in the Hampton Roads area and there is no shortage on Naval items to be found in this area. 

Chris

I lived in Newport, RI for several years and Navy items weren’t hard to come by there as well.

You have a good eye and I’ve enjoyed your finds.

Peter

• 10 months later...
ageishowyoufeel

Google reverse image brought me here. Starting with those who seem to know the history and to see if you have advice on where to sell. I’m helping my dad sell some things. Thanks in advance! ☺️

3F209620-6A38-48F3-8F66-08C51E2E3BC1.jpeg