WWII Navy Argus Unit WIA Purple Heart

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

A beautiful privately engraved, likely shipboard for presentation, Navy Heart to a scarce unit! Thanks for letting me share. The US Navy created the Pacific based Argus Training program in late 1942. The Argus program trained and deployed elite amphibious advance combat teams to set up radar and radio communications equipment. The name Argus refers to the mythological Greek creature with 100 eyes and symbolizes the 'all-seeing' radar of the Argus Units.

Radioman 3rd Class Frank Rockwell was wounded July 2, 1943 serving with Argus Unit 11. Rockwell is verified in the Unit 11 roster. 
https://argusunits.wordpress.com/argus1-12/argus-unit-2/
He was no doubt wounded in the taking of the Island of Rendova in the Soloman's June 30 - 4 July  , 1943.
From “Radar and Fighter Directors” by David L. Boslaugh, Capt, USN, Retired
"On 30 June 1943, Argus Unit 11 sent an advance echelon in with the Rendova Island invasion, but this time with opposition, and suffering casualties. They initially had only a portable SCR-602 radar, and, because the FDO on the destroyer Jenkins had to temporarily go off the air, they had to start fighter direction over the invasion beach almost immediately. They later brought their heavy equipment ashore under strong bombing and strqafing attacks that lasted a number of weeks, and they did their fighter direction from their radio truck until a more protected dugout could be prepared."

Argus3.jpg

Argus2.jpg

Argus1.jpg

Very nice ! I have a 43rd division KIA on Rendova fighting with the Navy units . 
the engraving is very cool ! I would think same thing Period presentation . Also a neat unit !

thanks for sharing ! 

wartimecollectables.com

Thanks all! Navy vessels had well equipped facilities and many unofficially named Purple Hearts were engraved ship-board for presentation.