USMC HBT (cut down?)

SammyT

Has anyone ever encountered a first pattern HBT like this cut down version?    I posted it next to a full size version for comparison and it appears as though it was cut above the pockets and then hand sewn.   Was this common for WWII Marines to do?    I'm assuming it was done to beat the heat or for mobility?    

Thanks.

Sammy T.

IMG_1259 (1).jpg

IMG_1260 (2).jpg

IMG_1261 (1).jpg

IMG_1262 (1).jpg

ArchangelDM

Looks professionally done, for me looks like it was made into a woman’s crop top. Plus seeing there is little to no wear I would say this was not done in theatre. 

I have seen period ones shortened but in a hurry and not neatly like yours, they have lots of wear. 

- Dean

Dean,  thanks for the response.   This came to me in a grouping and there were a total of one regular hbt and 3 cut downs.  I'll post pics of the other cut downs as I believe they are more worn.    (The marine was a male).

Sammy T.

ArchangelDM
50 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Dean,  thanks for the response.   This came to me in a grouping and there were a total of one regular hbt and 3 cut downs.  I'll post pics of the other cut downs as I believe they are more worn.    (The marine was a male).

Sammy T.

I look forward to it Sammy

Thanks

Dean

OK,  here they are.   There was actually a total of 4 of these cut down versions.   Two have definitely seen daily field wear.   The other two are less wear.

IMG_1281 (1).jpg

ArchangelDM

Hi Sammy

I’ve seen photos of Marines with cut down shirts in the Pacific due to the heat, also cut down trousers to shorts. 

But these are near mint examples. maybe he cut all of them down ready to be born and never got around to it.

I think you will never know exactly why these were cut down, they do look very well done

Probably more questions than answers but I have seen them cut down in period Photos and I have also owned a grouping with a cut down P 41  so I guess that’s a good thing

yours

Dean 

It's that fashionable bare-midriff look 😗

I would say these were modified to be worn as an Ike/Vandegrift style  jacket. A past forum thread said "This was done heavily post war and during the occupation era."