WWII USGI footwear help

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

Hello all,

As I am slowly putting together my kit in anticipation of joining a unit, I have been trying to figure out what to do about the shoes. The impression I would like to do is the 29th ID around the time of the Normandy landings, so I want the shoes to be accurate for that time and unit. Obviously I also want to find the shoes with the highest authenticity and at the best price. I’m am starting to lose track on all the different types of service shoes and roughouts, so I wanted to consult people with more knowledge than myself so I don’t make a mistake and purchase the wrong shoes. I’ve been looking at At The Front’s boots and I have had nothing but good experiences with their business, but I wanted to see what everyone thought. If you have any suggestions, let me know.  

Thank you!

MinorInHistory 

P.S.

I thought it was funny that the WWII Impressions ad for their shoes was playing as I typed this entry. 

• 2 weeks later...
eaglerunner88

For 29th ID in Normandy you would want "cap toe" service shoes. You cannot go wrong with ATF, which is the best overall quality out there, but I know $300 is a bit hefty.  As an alternative you can look at SM Wholesale's service shoes for $200 which are high quality as well:

https://www.smwholesaleusa.com/shop-footwear/wwii-us-1941-russet-low-boots-x8npg

-Cody