M3 repro

doyler

Ron- Saw that one yesterday. Yup, someone is gonna get burned. New collectors, read the books and study up on your hobby.  SKIP

What about this guys stuff? Looks good as far as I can tell from other examples and books unless I’m missing something. 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=stcroixblades&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

I don’t understand what’s going on with prices now. There’s been several blade marked Aerial M3s come up on eBay recently and nearly all have sold for only around 200. The most expensive one in the current sold listings was missing washers. Are there a bunch of good fakes coming out or have prices suddenly tanked?

Okie96- This guy has legit M3s, but his asking prices are really high, for the condition of some of the knives. Plus he tends to separate the M6 scabbards and asks high prices for them. My suggestion based on experience, be patient one will come along that will fill that void in your collection.  SKIP

Thanks SKIP. Though I did grab an M3 from him. Reason I mentioned the other Aerials. Seemed like a decent buy given the condition of it though I agree, the M6s are very high priced and maybe some of the other knifes are as well.

it just worries me, and many others I’m sure, how good the repros have become. Hence my concern over the price drop vs what I’ve seen in recent past.

I see the one DaBomb listed, item # 264426067314 has dropped his price down to $600, still way too much. SKIP

Many of these 90's Camillus M3's were worked on by a well known sling maker.

This sling maker had a mandrel setup with a (don't quote me on the mix) mixture of colored beeswax to spin on the leather handle to age them from brand new. One can see how the mixture is down in the leather handle grooves.

This can be seen in the auction I've attached above (worth no more than $100 total.) In mint condition (in the factory sheath that doesn't even come close to mimicking an original) these knives aren't worth more than $125-150 at max retail (my opinion.) Add the fact that many of these were carried by reenactors and roughed up which can confuse a novice entering the hobby.

On the blade stamped version, the word Camillus is stamped slightly larger. It is said an original stamp was used? I don't know? On the guard marked version the font of the "3" in the M3 is different. These differences along with the single pin are telltale of non-WWII. Some shady individuals have removed the pommel and attempted to weld up the single hole, then drill two holes and reinstall.

Definitely a must study hobby... 

I will add that I messaged the seller of the grouping listed above and politely informed why the knife is not WWII original. That seller hasn't taken it upon them self to update the listing, hmm...

And here is a perfect example and honest seller. (Disclaimer - I am not the seller and do not know the seller - informational purposes only.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Post-War-Camillus-M3-Fighting-Knife-In-Leather-Scabbard/203056543872?hash=item2f471cf880:g:hJgAAOSwcK5fGc93

Doctorofwar

I have seen some repro M3s where someone drilled a second hole in the pommel to add another pin, leaving the original pin in place.  This gives an offset appearance as one pin is centered and one is too far to one side or another.  

4 hours ago, Doctorofwar said:

I have seen some repro M3s where someone drilled a second hole in the pommel to add another pin, leaving the original pin in place.  This gives an offset appearance as one pin is centered and one is too far to one side or another.  

Agreed, I've seen this as well. Very ugly.

The knife originally mentioned here got more bids and ultimately ended for $235.50.

Here is yet another single pin with a little cover up (belt sanded edge touched up with cold blue?). This one has the been there, done that look, but it is the remake knife. These knives seem to be popping up more often. Maybe the sellers themselves are unaware?

Another interesting observation. With regards to the "US M3" stamping. On originals the "3" is going away from the blade ending on the edge of the guard. On the re-pops it appears turned around with the "3" ending next to the blade. I looked at more than two handfuls and seems to be consistent. Food for thought...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Camillus-M3-Fighting-Knife-Tang-Marked-with-M8-BM-Co-Sheath-24/203058484470?hash=item2f473a94f6:g:lXIAAOSwrItfHM2D:sc:USPSPriority!17331!US!-1

• 4 weeks later...

Well nobody who knows what they're looking for should have any problems.  The other buyers will probably have the other problem in common with the seller.

• 1 month later...

I've had a NICE M6 sheath for years, no knife.  Need a 1943 one for it, in good condition, but I'm always afraid to buy one rashly, knowing there are so many fakes.  It really makes you sick the foreign fakers do everything they can to rip off Americans.  

GOAmules- Best advice we can give, is do your research, lots of excellent sources out there, and here on the forum. Also, constantly check on ebay for a idea of pricing for blade-dated M3s. The blade-dated in great condition command high prices, and because they were the earliest versions, they saw a lot of use. Honestly, I've seen a whole lot more issues with the legitimacy of M6 scabbards than blade-dated M3s. The top of this page has a whole section devoted to M3s, check it out. Good luck!  SKIP

GOAmules, I know just how you feel, I also was that guy.  You're at the right place, reading up on the M3's by myself left me uncertain that I'd overlook details that I should have spotted.  Don't be shy of asking questions here.  There are a lot of members who are willing to answer you questions, SKIPH has probably forgotten more about the M3's than I'll ever know.  He certainly was one who was a great help to me.

Happy hunting!