World War One Weekly Wing #30 - American Made WW1 Wing With Pinback

cwnorma

World War One

Weekly Wing #30

American Made WW1 Wing With Pinback

Background

Things are beginning to return to something approaching normal.  At the very least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!  Once again, this WWOWW post is a bit lighter on research than I prefer to share.  As always, my apologies for that.  By next week, I should have more time to put something proper together.

30.jpg.5e249d2874c4c8c401bac01a384c2aaf.jpg

Description

Reserve Military Aviator

Manufacture. Another iteration of the quintessential American-made World War One wing, design wise this badge is much more understated than WWOWW #29.    Again, distinctive while remaining generally similar to other American-made two tier shoulder wings—the badge is significantly oversized.  Each wing is characterized by a first row of feathers picked out individually in silver bullion, surmounted by a two-tier shoulder of individual feathers constructed with rachis of faceted bullion and vane contrasting smooth bullion. Each first row feather is separated by a line of fine black thread.

The shield is moderately flared.  The chief contains 13 small "stars" executed with faceted bullion in an x-configuration affixed atop a field of horizontal rows of smooth silver bullion.  To give the appearance of “stripes” the field portion consists of alternating vertical columns of smooth and faceted silver bullion.  The chief and field portion are separated by bullion wire coil.

The top half of each wing and shield perimeter are bordered by coiled bullion wire.  Both wings and especially the shield are moderately padded.

The US is gold bullion coils configured in a two-strand twisted helix with no apparent serifs or periods.

Mountings.  The RMA badge is mounted on an angularly shaped thin brass plate.  Remnants of a maker’s label are evident but alas, the label itself is lost to time. The reverse is half lapped by backing cloth and hand stitched fast.