Kabar USMC Iii Amphibious Corps, ID'ed

nchistory

Interesting modified KABAR 3rd generation late war identified to Denzel R Shorress Sr. of Headquarters Battery, Corps Artillery, that saw action at Okinawa.  Interesting squared off pommel, which may be replaced and welded, maybe battle damage, who knows.   Not only modification to pommel, but looks like ricasso cracked all the way through and guard bent down in damaged area.  Marked KABAR and USMC.  Thoughts?

IMG_E5741.JPG

IMG_E5744.JPG

IMG_E5747.JPG

IMG_E5748.JPG

IMG_E5750.JPG

If I may ask, how is it identified to this particular Marine, beyond the initials obviously carved into the sheath?  

I have looked at a WWII Kabar or two, and have never seen one cracked - very interesting.

Lastly, I have always attributed the large USMC lettering to early-war examples.  Maybe the thin modified / replacement pommel somewhat disguises it.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

If I may ask, how is it identified to this particular Marine, beyond the initials obviously carved into the sheath?  

I have looked at a WWII Kabar or two, and have never seen one cracked - very interesting.

Lastly, I have always attributed the large USMC lettering to early-war examples.  Maybe the thin modified / replacement pommel somewhat disguises it.

Hi, thanks for your response, His name stamp is on back of scabbard twice.  Its taking time to load photos, but just loaded it.  

5 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

I've never seen one cracked either.

Ah, sorry, I was quick on the draw there.  I see the remains of a couple of laundry stamps in the rest of the pics.

I think this is an early knife.

Thank you for sharing it.👍

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

I assumed late war because of his record, it could be early war.

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Ah, sorry, I was quick on the draw there.  I see the remains of a couple of laundry stamps.

I think this is an early knife.

Thank you for sharing it.👍

Your'e welcome, thank you for your assessment. 

IMG_5748.JPG

Didn't notice till I posted the pics,  it has the early KA-BAR maker mark with Olean NY marking, and Large USMC as Blacksmith pointed out.

Just because it's an early knife doesn't mean it wasn't issued late.  If you think of it something like a bin at the distribution point, the early knives are obviously the first ones in with later knives being added on top.  If the bin never gets completely emptied during the prime distribution period, it would be natural that the last knife out would be among the first ones that went in.