Combat used ETO Lt M1 Helmet with leadership stripe and liner

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Usually anything ETO is off my radar but this really caught my eye and spoke to me.  
My love of combat used and salty items Is a really bad affliction ! And has such consumed more than one room in the house. 

Lt helmet with Leadership stripe and british net 

This little time capsule has never been apart, a collector has started to release his collection to free up some funds and so is now residing with me. 

These type of nets where worn on D day and In Holland I believe. 

This morning I did a little digging and it’s just amazing how many characteristics this helmet and liner have, it’s almost the same as in the picture posted. 

heavily used net with the leather chinstrap tucked under the helmet. 

Nothing has ever been removed from this, the helmet chinstraps are also stuck in time, locked solid at the back holding that net from when it was put on. 

The helmet also has mud still on it ! And lots of grime. The helmet liner is filthy with sweat and dirt ! 
showing the tough conditions under which this would have had to endure. 

Below are shots of the paint and it’s markings under the scope, even a little foliage ! 
whats amazing is where the stress cracks are near the leadership stripe you can see the stripe was painted first as there is no paint in the cracks. 

Showing it’s original paint and patina this lid shows what a vet and their helmets had to endure in the brutal war that was WW2

no name I could find but I’m okay with that - 

the helmet speaks itself 

ArchangelDM
1 hour ago, Gtilk8455 said:

Killer kid... congrats 

Graham 

1 hour ago, jmd62 said:

Love it!!

Thankyou for the kind comments 

ww2collector985

ETO is not my thing either, but I would have made an exception for that lid, too.  That is killer!  

ArchangelDM
13 minutes ago, ww1and2collector said:

ETO is not my thing either, but I would have made an exception for that lid, too.  That is killer!  

knew you  would like it brother 

ArchangelDM
2 minutes ago, MCDUFF said:

What a time capsule! Fits well in in your staggering M1 collection mate..

Thankyou G

looking forward to you seeing it 

ArchangelDM
57 minutes ago, rooster77 said:

Awesome Dean !!!

Beautiful !!

Congratulations on getting it !

Dave

Thanks Dave 

I’m glad you like it 

Looks very good, and surely a very nice find. How can you be sure this have been together since ww2?

The first thing I noticed is the sweatband is attached to the napestrap suspension, not where it should be, at the web suspension. Is that not a 50s thing? - That actual led to the removal of the napestrap in the 60s liner version? I uselessly think of this as post war, but hey users must have started sometime, and maybe it’s a war thing also?

The other thing is the rim. Looks very shiny for a rim covered with net? Even where the net is thick and covered by the chinstrap?! Could be it was used extensively before the net was applied. Also the liner display little net-shadow for having been together for 70+ years?

ArchangelDM
4 hours ago, twthmoses said:

Looks very good, and surely a very nice find. How can you be sure this have been together since ww2?

The first thing I noticed is the sweatband is attached to the napestrap suspension, not where it should be, at the web suspension. Is that not a 50s thing? - That actual led to the removal of the napestrap in the 60s liner version? I uselessly think of this as post war, but hey users must have started sometime, and maybe it’s a war thing also?

The other thing is the rim. Looks very shiny for a rim covered with net? Even where the net is thick and covered by the chinstrap?! Could be it was used extensively before the net was applied. Also the liner display little net-shadow for having been together for 70+ years?

I’m totally perplexed by your questions ? Liner is an early inland liner with non adjustable nape strap and khaki webbing 1942/1943. 

also headband is attached to the nape strap a “50s thing” ? Many soldiers moved the inside leather suspension where was comfortable. 

flat buckle leather chinstrap early WW2 stuck stiff where it’s been since the war, evidence to this as there is rubbing on the liner. 

net has tons of shadowing on the shell, not to mention rust bleed through from helmet to net.

Also Inside rust stains on the shell and liner matching 

have you studied the photos on this thread ? 

ArchangelDM
4 hours ago, twthmoses said:

shadowing Pic 2

and also the mud that’s squared by the net 

763E7327-715F-4FB8-AF1B-B99F507F228D.jpeg

0370078E-0B75-40B2-A2DF-5BE64078429D.jpeg

ArchangelDM

Also when issued your helmet you would have worn it before deployment, wear on a rim would have happened. 
Net added and given before engagements. 

Hope that answers your questions 

ArchangelDM
8 hours ago, HattonWWII said:

Dean, 

This is an amazing find!! Spectacular addition to a superb collection, many congratulations on finding this one!

Thankyou Brother 

some very kind words 

3 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

Also when issued your helmet you would have worn it before deployment, wear on a rim would have happened. 
Net added and given before engagements. 

Hope that answers your questions

Even if the net was added immediately  after the helmet was issued, to me it wouldn't be strange at all for the paint to wear off when used heavily.

ArchangelDM
16 minutes ago, Samhelm59 said:

Even if the net was added immediately  after the helmet was issued, to me it wouldn't be strange at all for the paint to wear off when used heavily.

also not to mention with the early helmets the paint didn’t stick to well to the rim.