Combat grouping of William W Rogal 2nd Mar DIV

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

William W Rogal enlisted on the 6th of September 1940 to serve with the 2nd marine division during WW2. 

This is one of his full combat uniforms and helmet that he wore during 4 yers of hell On the island. 

This grouping came directly from the family, firstly I would like to thank them for their continued efforts in keeping the grouping of William together, we have spent many emails and telephone conversations over the past months making this happen. 

When William returned from the war in late 1945 he wrote his memoirs 

GUADLCANAL, TARAWA AND BEYOND - A MUD MARINES MEMOIR OF THE PACIFIC WAR

I would like to add this is a Fantastic account of one combat marines journey through boot camp, to then becoming a platoon SGT and commanding a team of machine gunners in some of the most ferocious fighting in the PTO. 

William would be awarded the navy and marine corps medal for heroism at Guadalcanal, swimming in heavy waters after a huge battle to save a downed marine pilot from drowning. 

Wounded on Saipan and and the Gilbert islands, this marine was one tough recruit. 

Going through every detail of this brave mans career would be lengthy and something I could not do justice too, his book is on amazon should you want to read a first hand account of a Fighting marine. 

Below are the pics of the grouping from the family , he was made SGT before Saipan 

William was wounded in the back of the head on Saipan, shrapnel went through his helmet wounding him and putting him in hospital. The helmet is his replacement but his Cover is the original one he wore, it’s shredded and stencilled like all his gear. 

Worn and sun bleached this grouping tells the tale of William W Rogal 2nd Mar Div 

0B53EF6A-8CD7-4F9C-B26A-6594029B8F40.jpeg

51941BA7-EEF5-4D63-91E3-3746BF884D54.jpeg

ArchangelDM

The flag was taken on the Tinian  island and the sword was brought home from Tsing Tao China when the Japanese surrendered in 1945

867DE192-5383-47DA-AF12-DB72AC85CAD1.jpeg

63FAC5F9-24B9-4591-9111-FBBF183BED23.jpeg

73267EB0-3C8D-4CA9-BA55-DF4957D42B3C.jpeg

10E62601-093B-4A89-ADB4-3B72A6A2D1CD.jpeg

F7B27BCC-F51C-4788-9C31-311929864328.jpeg

3800D94D-8847-4184-853A-3C4E64C0391B.jpeg

F42D6AC4-592C-4DC9-B7FA-BF1CAF96938B.jpeg

8312E7E5-2196-4000-BE41-FD0D8D23D9C0.jpeg

7E80FEF1-0083-42C1-957E-EF8387259AC0.jpeg

ArchangelDM

I was also given the after battle report from Guadalcanal, and the roster for the 2ND mar Div 

the after battle report is highly detailed and depicts the brutality of the battle 

627095EB-3CD5-44E6-81DF-A0CE2BCF0BA6.jpeg

F4B43515-4AB1-4C0E-8C5E-C6E9C86BE0A2.jpeg

2870981E-D57D-4F96-AAB5-AB339602400A.jpeg

7F166B31-C687-4FB8-9EED-FA5C86DEDF98.jpeg

C38566F3-F5CB-4EA9-B369-433456B3DB15.jpeg

Lucky 7th Armored

Very nice, if I recall, this was on eBay. I know myself and a few others were trying to secure this lot before the listing disappeared.

Congrats on a great grouping and being able to keep it all together!

Truly a one-of-a-kind set, he sure went through a lot and I’m glad all the history was saved together.

Great grouping and well done

Alex

ArchangelDM
43 minutes ago, WW2 History Buff said:

Very nice, if I recall, this was on eBay. I know myself and a few others were trying to secure this lot before the listing disappeared.

Congrats on a great grouping and being able to keep it all together!

32 minutes ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Really incredible grouping! I’ll need to check out his book!

Frank

15 minutes ago, 36thIDAlex said:

Truly a one-of-a-kind set, he sure went through a lot and I’m glad all the history was saved together.

Great grouping and well done

Alex

Thankyou Gents 

yes it was on eBay and I had been interested in It. He was splitting the group up and I wanted to keep it all together if I could. 

The book is a fantastic and Easy read , William worked as an a tourney after the war so it’s very well written and reads at a great pace. 

one of a kind for sure and I’m very lucky to be the caretaker of it. 

thanks for looking 

- Dean

ArchangelDM
6 minutes ago, olivedrab1970 said:

WoW! Just a beautiful grouping, most excellent.

Robin-

Thankyou my friend 

ArchangelDM
19 minutes ago, plick27 said:

Fantastic grouping Dean.

Great job keeping it intact.

Thankyou Plick27

lots of nice comments about keeping the grouping together 

- Dean 

Kurt Barickman

Nice group from A/1/2! I love that book and wondered what happened to his items.

Congrats!

Kurt

ArchangelDM
9 minutes ago, Kurt Barickman said:

Nice group from A/1/2! I love that book and wondered what happened to his items.

Congrats!

Kurt

Thanks Kurt 

had you read the book before seeing the items 

- Dean 

ArchangelDM
44 minutes ago, jmd62 said:

Simply amazing! Thanks for sharing it along with all the information. 

That’s very kind 

Thankyou 

cperkins510

Wow, congratulations! His book is one of my favorites. A great read for sure and a remarkable service history. Your display does great justice to Mr. Rogal and his service. Very, very nice.

ArchangelDM
5 minutes ago, cperkins510 said:

Wow, congratulations! His book is one of my favorites. A great read for sure and a remarkable service history. Your display does great justice to Mr. Rogal and his service. Very, very nice.

Im humbled by your comment 

Thankyou 

yours

Dean

Kurt Barickman

Yes I have had the book for years and I was a member of the 2nd Marine Division Association and was the historian for the Minnesota Chapter for years before it folded.

Kurt