USMC Red Spacer Kabar Oddity

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

I just saw this on eBay 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KA-BAR-MK2-Red-Spacer/193573861083?hash=item2d11e6b6db:g:HykAAOSwDO9fDjzO

This is an early USMC Kabar variation I’ve not seen before.  It has a red spacer next to the guard but it has a thick peened pommel.  I’ve always seen the thin peened pommel on Kabar’s with a red spacer.  Also notice that the handle is thicker towards the bottom and thinner closer to the tang.  I’m guessing that old parts where used when this was first put together.  It looks like a hybrid between the next Kabar generation.

any thoughts?

CC62B713-09E4-4022-B24C-D2A45580C391.jpeg

CECBA59D-5343-49E8-B415-47B8EB39CA30.jpeg

87746746-2CB3-428A-A812-583C55338216.png

To me It looks like someone glued a thick red spacer there next to the guard , maybe as a repair . Not a factory job IMO , but not Impossible as the pommel clearly has not been disturbed . Interesting knife Craig .

Catfishcraig
6 minutes ago, byf41 said:

To me It looks like someone glued a thick red spacer there next to the guard , maybe as a repair . Not a factory job IMO , but not Impossible as the pommel clearly has not been disturbed . Interesting knife Craig .

could be.  Someone would have gone to a lot of trouble on an already nice knife to start out with.  But then again, it sold for $600.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...