7th Cavalry Trooper photographed in Deadwood

scottiques

I wanted to share this nice, early 1880s image of a 7th Cavalry trooper posed in the studio.

The corporal holds his helmet and cavalry sword.  There is a small "7" visible on his collar.  No identification on the soldier or his service.

The photographer, George Scott, was active in Deadwood from about 1883-87.  Not in great focus, but the tent in the backdrop is visible and is often seen with Scott's images of Native Americans.

Scott

7cav1.jpg

7cav.jpg

7cav3.jpg

7cav4.jpg

7cav5.jpg

skypilot6670

That is nice having a Deadwood photograph and the 7th Cav. I bet that place was hopping then , but the gold rush was slowing down. I wonder if Calamity Jane was still around and the saloon where Hickok was killed.  That is one neat photo.  Thanks for posting.     Mike

Thanks much Mike, Sundance and Andrew.

I imagine that Deadwood was an interesting place at that time-- although, a little past its' famous and deadly heyday.

Andrew, I'll try and post some more photographs as time allows.

The dating of the photograph is based on the photographer's years in the city.

Scott

• 2 years later...

I might add that regimental collar numerals ceased being worn in 1884.  That  further narrows down the year.  
Great photo! 

The 7th was stationed at Fort Meade SD until 1888. Photographer George Scott probably made occasional forays to the post as there were plenty of infantry and cavalry 'customers' there who would want a photo. His 1881 dress helmet look like one of the 1872 pattern bodies modified to the 1881 profile. I'd say its taken 1883-85.

• 2 months later...