Span Am thru WWI Miniature Medal Bar

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

A recent acquisition from a few months ago.  This miniature bar is beautifully mounted and shows quite a breadth of service and covering almost the entire globe.  I have been told this is potentially attributable to an officer who was with the 10th infantry regiment of the 7th division, but the potential ID dictates further research.  Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated. 

09E4E8DB-D501-4EB5-9C3E-400BFE1CBC14.jpeg

D943CD0C-4218-4B39-978D-B4668BB462DF.jpeg

BigJohn#3RD

Nice medal group. As to what unit the officer was serving with, I would lean toward 28th, 32nd or 42nd Divisions in the AEF based upon the bars present. Just a SWAG from the cheap seats. LOL

Tough One - The SWSM & Cuban Occ is a Fairly common combination - a few regiments from the Mass. Guard got to Cuba late and were entitled to the SWSM and Cuban Occ - The Philippine - Boxer pair could be to the 9th or 14th Infantry - Lack of a Mex Border or Mex Campaign makes me think he was Regular Army in 1914 - 1916 (Not everyone went to Mexico) and the WWI Victory Bar Combo makes me think 28th Division - Possibly not an Officer but maybe a Senior NCO - I think if you can cross reference the Cuban Occupation Rolls with the China Rolls you may have a hit.

Looking at the way this bar is constructed it matches to a set made by George Studley in the 1930's and with the Veteran Organization medals which would not have been allowed if he wore this on active duty, However a note of caution is that if this was made for a vet - it is possible that there may have been embellishment

Bill

Javelin4life
2 minutes ago, USMCR79 said:

Tough One - The SWSM & Cuban Occ is a Fairly common combination - a few regiments from the Mass. Guard got to Cuba late and were entitled to the SWSM and Cuban Occ - The Philippine - Boxer pair could be to the 9th or 14th Infantry - Lack of a Mex Border or Mex Campaign makes me think he was Regular Army in 1914 - 1916 (Not everyone went to Mexico) and the WWI Victory Bar Combo makes me think 28th Division - Possibly not an Officer but maybe a Senior NCO - I think if you can cross reference the Cuban Occupation Rolls with the China Rolls you may have a hit.

Bill

Thank you for the suggestion! I have both of those roster books- to clarify, if i go through the list of names and see if there’s a match for both the CRE and Cuban Occupation it could be the recipient? 

It could give you a starting point for further ID - The SWSM and Philippine Rolls are huge so The Cuban OCC and the CRE would be the smaller of the 4 - I would also look at a state that does not give state medals since none are included - The eliminates NY & Penn.

Bill

BigJohn#3RD

Bill

Great analysis of the medals present. I beleive that you are correct that it was a long serving NCO or Officer, or quite possibly NCO commissioned during WWI, that was the former owner. I am surprised that there are none of the SPANAM War Association medals as part of the group. There might have been a second row that included another row of veteran association medals.

• 4 weeks later...

I love this combinaiton of awards.  As a collective, not so common.  I think it will be impossible to nail it down to a unit/individual though- right?  There are no numbers on the minis?

• 1 month later...