BGEN James W. Carter, USAAF, Tennessee ANG

RickInVic

Thought I'd share another grouping in my collection to Brigadier-General James William Carter, Sr.  I don't remember how long I've owned it but probably at least 10 years.  I purchased it from a dealer in the PNW as shown in the photo.

From the information I have, the military memorabilia of BGEN Carter was broken up and sold (at least in part) on Ebay in 2002.  The items I got came together but also included an old Ebay listing for his mini medals which did not come with the group.  I know of at least one other dog tag and identity card in another collection.  The DFC and AM are not named but I also have the Ebay listings for them to at least give them a minimal of provenance.  MGEN Carter was also awarded the Purple Heart; its whereabouts are unknown but I will add a WW II Purple Heart for display purposes in honor of the General.  In the mini group he also wore the American Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with 2 battle stars, the WW II Victory Medal, the Korean War Medal (oddly no stars were displayed although he flew 100 missions there) and the UN Korea medal.  I do not have his Personnel Records file but suspect he's entitled to other medals as well.  The small book in the group is a diary of his WW II missions ~ effectively an unofficial log book.

From Ancestry, Fold3 and Newspapers research I've been able to piece together the following information:

James William Carter was born in Sumner County, TN on September 17, 1923 to Pryor William Carter, Sr and Sadie Meador.  Sadly, he succumbed to cancer at just age 62 in Nashville on March 29, 1986.   During World War II he joined up right from High School. After completing his Aviation Cadet training earning his wings and commission he served with the 75th Fighter Squadron, 23rd Fighter Group in the China-Burma-India theater.  His first mission was flown in P-40N-5 on July 14, 1944. His nickname during his war time service was "Mouse" but one of his obituaries used "Pee Wee" which must have come later in life.

His first mission in a Mustang was on November 10, 1944.  His Purple Heart comes from his 68th mission on March 30, 1945.  His aircraft was hit by ground fire and shattered his canopy.  "Sharks Over China" says he was wounded in the face but his diary records the following:

"Canopy gone and I caught the glass in the right shoulder + neck. No shrapnel. Made 4 or 5 passes after being hit.  Few 2 Hrs. home with arm paining greatly.  Forgot it all at Gambey Party that night. PS. Doc is still picking glass out of me..." 

General Carter completed 79 combat missions by July 29, 1945 plus a final ferrying mission for a total of 80 (he did not record the date of the 80th mission and notes in the diary "... was the easiest mission I had ever flown and I don't especially count it.").  He earned a DFC and OLC, Purple Heart and Air Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters for this service.

After World War II he served with the Tennessee Air National Guard. James was recalled to active service during the Korean War and flew 100 missions with the 67th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing and earned another Oak Leaf Cluster for his DFC and 2 more clusters for his Air Medal.  In civilian life he was involved in scientific research for 25 years including 10 years with NASA then in 1972 he started a vending and catering business called "Magic Services".  He was promoted to Brigadier General and appointed the Deputy Chief of Staff of the TN ANG.

His Find A Grave memorial has a couple of really nice pictures of him which I'll link to rather than repost: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/201091464/james-william-carter/photo

DSC_0132.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 7:37 AM, ramram said:

Great group.  Thanks for sharing.  

Any air victories noted in his log/diary?

Rob M

A couple of claims were noted on his 45th OP.  Most of the missions were dive-bombing / strafing grounds targets and boats on the rivers.  He did mix it up on three occasions and noted sightings of fighter that didn't engage on two others.

Aug. 19, 1944 (OP #17): P-40N20 4:10. Recon road S. of Yochow to Hengyang. Got jumped by approx. 12 Oscars SE of Yochow: Got rudder shot out, prop. out, left aeliron [sic] stuck, approx 6 to 8 holes in left wing. Landed saftley [sic] at Kw. "with help of God."

Sept. 21, 1944 (OP #39): P40N20 3:30. Supposed to frag and strafe Japanese motor pool at Sinshin. Contacted Oscars + Hamps Instead "Couple of shots".

Nov. 10, 1944 (OP #45): P-51C 2:30. Top cover for Sharks to Hengyang. Jumped 4 Oscars over field, 1 damaged in air, 1 damaged on ground: "Caught them with heads up" First mission in "51".

• 2 years later...