Illinois 86th Company D. What badge did they use

I'm working on a piece of tattoo flash art for the Illinois 86th, Company D. Because this is going to be on someone permanently, I need to make sure I have it 100%

right.

Could anyone tell me what badge this company could have used or the configuration they could have worn on the top of their kepi?

Forgive me if these are ignorant questions, I'm a fish out of water when it comes to knowledge of the Civil War.

skypilot6670

Hi Erich.  The 86th Illinois Infantry spent the bulk of their time in the 14th army corps. The Acorn (long a military symbol) is the Corps badge.  Typically on a kepi , you would find any combination of , a company letter (in your case D ) , infantry horn  , numbers ( in your case 86 ) and an acorn corps badge . I can’t recall seeing a kepi with all 4 devices , but I’am sure knowing how proud soldiers can be of their unit it happened.   Fraternally Yours Mike

It would be atypical to have all of that insignia mentioned.

The classy way would be to recreate a wartime acorn, and add the company and regiment on it.

7 hours ago, skypilot6670 said:

Hi Erich.  The 86th Illinois Infantry spent the bulk of their time in the 14th army corps. The Acorn (long a military symbol) is the Corps badge.  Typically on a kepi , you would find any combination of , a company letter (in your case D ) , infantry horn  , numbers ( in your case 86 ) and an acorn corps badge . I can’t recall seeing a kepi with all 4 devices , but I’am sure knowing how proud soldiers can be of their unit it happened.   Fraternally Yours Mike

Mike, T

hank you for your help. Would the "correct" arrangement of the insignia be Acorn above the Infantry Horn. The number 86 in the middle of the horn and the D underneath the horn?

Erich

5 hours ago, MAW said:

It would be atypical to have all of that insignia mentioned.

The classy way would be to recreate a wartime acorn, and add the company and regiment on it.

I agree, from looking at photos it would be atypical. Thank you for your suggestion, I will post the drawing in the future to make sure all the heraldry reads

correctly,

skypilot6670
6 hours ago, ETN said:

Mike, T

hank you for your help. Would the "correct" arrangement of the insignia be Acorn above the Infantry Horn. The number 86 in the middle of the horn and the D underneath the horn?

Erich

Hey Erich , I don’t know if there was a sequence or not ,but I think what you suggest is fine. Might I suggest , you also work up a sketch like MAW advised. He is correct and that would be an engraved corps badge style. (my personal favorite) And post them and see what feedback you get on them.   Fraternally Yours Mike

On 7/17/2020 at 5:05 AM, skypilot6670 said:

Hey Erich , I don’t know if there was a sequence or not ,but I think what you suggest is fine. Might I suggest , you also work up a sketch like MAW advised. He is correct and that would be an engraved corps badge style. (my personal favorite) And post them and see what feedback you get on them.   Fraternally Yours Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll post the sketch I'm working up when I'm done. The tattoo is for me, my great-great-great Grandfather was part of that company, so I need to make sure I get it right. Erich