Indian Wars Medal check

kotkinjs1

Hi all, I know these are hard to find but I'm trying to check a supposed numbered Indian Wars medal. I apologize but these are the only photos available. It's said to be numbered and not attributed. I assume that means M No.? I'm going to say unless I can get other photos I'd pass on it? I can't tell the thickness (I understand thinner is better), can't really see if there's a double ring around the platen (should be for a mint strike?),  the jump ring looks thin (should be thicker?), and the ribbon seems very newish.

IWCM1.jpg.b0b92f8d50ea501f80cec746ac475059.jpgIWCM2.jpg.b19815fc5271b7598bd023f03667f2fa.jpg

25 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Don’t really need to see anything beyond the crimp broach, in my opinion.

Blacksmith, can you help me understand what you mean? I'm a complete novice at researching Indian Campaign medals. I've read crimp broaches were used between the 40s and 90s on military ribbons. Might it just be a later contract copy? I understand then it shouldn't have a number though I guess.

manayunkman

Why were these medals made up until the 60s?

And how many production runs we’re there?

What kind of brooches were used?

Didn’t all these older campaign medals have several runs?

I’ve always assumed continued production to be to satisfy the reissue need.  By example, if a veteran’s family member requests medals to be reissued through the NPRC, and the veteran qualified for an IW medal.

Also, I would not consider the pictured version of the Indian Wars medal to be hard to find.  A quick eB@y search typically has them in the $15 to $25 range.