Ballistics question. Bullet or Shrapnel strike? Which is it ?

The Rooster

The Rooster

Evening all.

I was wondering if anyone can tell wether this helmet was struck by a bullet or a piece of shrapnel just judging by the entrance hole?

All opinions appreciated. Thank you.

DSCF2872.JPG

DSCF2873.JPG

DSCF2871.JPG

DSCF2874.JPG

m.jpg

DSCF2791.JPG

x.jpg

The Rooster

Large caliber too huh ? I just though there would be a nice rounded edge some where on it. Its oblong.

6 hours ago, rooster77 said:

Large caliber too huh ? I just though there would be a nice rounded edge some where on it. Its oblong.

7.62 - 7.92mm standard size of the era most likely. Next size up would have been 12.7(.50) and no way that is a fiddy hole. 

In my " expert" opinion ( I was a Battle Damage Assessment and Repair advisor for the Colombian Army for a few years) and saw many small arms damage in our Huey's ' Blackhawks and MI-17's) . I would agree with Eagle87, bullet. They do really strange stuff, can enter on the belly as a clean or oblong hole, catch a web, frame , or longeron and travel it up, change direction, all the time pushing material and has a large ragged hole on exit or can be found fairly intact, or copper casing seperated, mushroomed, in many pieces or still perfectly intact. I suspect it hit high, penetrated, splayed, deformed, then took a good part of the liner apart and pushed all the liner debris through the other side. Just my two cents. Very nice example. I can dig around and find examples to post, maybe in another thread. 

2 hours ago, 917601 said:

In my " expert" opinion ( I was a Battle Damage Assessment and Repair advisor for the Colombian Army for a few years) and saw many small arms damage in our Huey's ' Blackhawks and MI-17's) . I would agree with Eagle87, bullet. They do really strange stuff, can enter on the belly as a clean or oblong hole, catch a web, frame , or longeron and travel it up, change direction, all the time pushing material and has a large ragged hole on exit or can be found fairly intact, or copper casing seperated, mushroomed, in many pieces or still perfectly intact. I suspect it hit high, penetrated, splayed, deformed, then took a good part of the liner apart and pushed all the liner debris through the other side. Just my two cents. Very nice example. I can dig around and find examples to post, maybe in another thread. 

Well said.  I think the entry hole tells the story.  Shrapnel tends to be jagged and irregular in shape.  It's less likely to see such a smoothly shaped hole from shrapnel. 

The Rooster

Thank you all for the comments. It does look like a big caliber bullet round.

I appreciate all the help and confirmation.

In case anyone has missed it. I have this helmet in the helmet section.

It didnt have any story at first. The seller never noticed the name in it.

Cheers !