An Old Buddies History

Ronnie

This is a small grouping that belonged to one of my best friends. I met him in 1985 when I came to town to open a new business. I was a kid and he was an older man of maybe 65 or so. He was a heck of a man. He was a tail gunner in a B17 that was shinola down on March 6, 1944. It was his 6th mission. He had an incredible time in the POW Camp and took part in a big forced march when the Russians got close to their camp. He survived it and worked in Washington DC from just after the war until the mid 70’s. 

He was in the 95th Bomb Group. He died in 2009 and I miss him so very much. Anyway he gave me all this stuff and a bunch of guns too. The folding paper in the corner of the box is a letter to his mother advising her that he had been awarded the Air Medal and the medal is so engraved on the back. I have a lot more of his stuff but no more room in the box.

Thanks.

RonnieF9CDCA25-207D-46CC-A1B7-92F6524668D9.jpeg.66c6fb38c551eefee29be4838c7acd09.jpeg

• 2 months later...
Old Crow 1986

Missed this back in July.  I absolutely love living history like this.  Thanks for being his caretaker.

Question - What is the anchor pin in the upper right hand corner?