23rd Americal WWII Uniform - Opinions Needed

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I've seen 23rd ID service coats here on the forum that have the 2nd Marine Division Guadalcanal patch on the sleeve.  Has anyone seen a 1st Marine Division patch?  Also, am I correct in that the 23rd had a regiment that received the Navy PUC?  Would an Army PUC out of place as on this set up?

Thanks

Americal.png

I was recently talking to another forum member about that uniform. I believe to be a put together. With the 2 Battle Stars he was either at Guadalcanal and Bougainville or Bougainville and the Philippines. The only time the Americal was with the 1st Marine Division was on Guadalcanal. If he was Guadalcanal and then WIA at Bougainville he wouldn't have had the occupation ribbon and most likely wouldn't have had 6 overseas bars. The 1st Marine Division on the cuff did happen even though it is uncommon.

Lt. Walter R Abbott of the 164th Infantry. He caught malaria on Guadalcanal and was sent stateside. (Note the 1st Marine Division Patch on the cuff)

6AEF1306-468D-4894-8F1D-C2662B7F528B.jpeg

and the only unit of the Americal that was awarded the Army PUC was E Company, 182nd Infantry, Most of the Div was awarded the Navy PUC for Guadalcanal. I do have some reference photos of guys in the Americal wearing the Army PUC in error even though they were awarded the Navy.

Both of my Americal uniforms (unfortunately not totally ided) have navy style stencil inside of the laundry number.