Early WW2 Navy Fixed Loop with Hawley

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all. Here is a nice WW2 all original M1 Navy used Helmet.

It was sold as a Navy Helmet.

Its in good shape. The only other Hawley liner Ive held in my hands was a crumbling thin broken thing.

This one is there!. Its thick and not crushed or cracked or "Wilted" lol.

The name in pencil inside the liner is Ben Callahan 2nd Division.

Enjoy.

Rooster!

DSCF2843.JPG

DSCF2844.JPG

DSCF2845.JPG

DSCF2846.JPG

DSCF2847.JPG

DSCF2848.JPG

DSCF2849.JPG

DSCF2850.JPG

DSCF2851.JPG

DSCF2852.JPG

DSCF2853.JPG

DSCF2854.JPG

DSCF2855.JPG

DSCF2856.JPG

DSCF2857.JPG

DSCF2858.JPG

Very nice, reminds me of my own early navy helmet. It has the same style of stenciling on the crown of the General Fibre liner. The shell is also stenciled but it is on the crown instead of on the front.

Shame that the name in the liner doesn't match the stencil. Could still be an interesting research project!

The Rooster

Thank you Nick ! So for sure the stencil is initials ?

I though nmaybe it was a ships station?

Costa  JMD62...   Thank you !!!!

Wow, not only is the Shell an early McCord in great shape, the liner is about the best i have ever seen! Very Nice. You Got treasure for sure there! 

1 hour ago, rooster77 said:

Thank you Nick ! So for sure the stencil is initials ?

I though nmaybe it was a ships station?

Costa  JMD62...   Thank you !!!!

I think it's most likely initials, my helmet stenciled in the same manner corresponds with the first, middle, and last name. The vet also had his last name stenciled in the helmet under the brim.

ArchangelDM

Beautiful 1st pattern hawley with a nice navy lid , not unusual for navy helmets and liners to change hands on ship etc. 

Great score Dave 

We were still using these on my first ship in 1973. They were dropped in helmet racks on USS Kitty Hawk back then. Most were really beat up. Bales broken off, no straps and the liners broken around the edges.  

The Rooster
On 7/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, sigsaye said:

We were still using these on my first ship in 1973. They were dropped in helmet racks on USS Kitty Hawk back then. Most were really beat up. Bales broken off, no straps and the liners broken around the edges.  

Thank you Sigseye and everyone. Its the nicest Lid I own.

1973.... Maybe 1972 ?? I was on the Oriskany which was docked at Alameda Naval Air Station.

It was just back from Vietnam. I think the Carrier Constellation was moored next to her. ?

Getting foggy as Iget up in years.

I recieved an honorary crew member badge. Im guessing this helmet got put up quickly

for some reason? Sigseye, is there any reason the crew would put up or retire a fairly new helmet?

It doesnt seem used much.

2 hours ago, rooster77 said:

Thank you Sigseye and everyone. Its the nicest Lid I own.

1973.... Maybe 1972 ?? I was on the Oriskany which was docked at Alameda Naval Air Station.

It was just back from Vietnam. I think the Carrier Constellation was moored next to her. ?

Getting foggy as Iget up in years.

I recieved an honorary crew member badge. Im guessing this helmet got put up quickly

for some reason? Sigseye, is there any reason the crew would put up or retire a fairly new helmet?

It doesnt seem used much.

Helmets sit in warehouses for decades. Then get sent out to ships to replace those that are tossed over the side. I’ve seen tri walls of them dropped on the pier. 

24 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Helmets sit in warehouses for decades. Then get sent out to ships to replace those that are tossed over the side. I’ve seen tri walls of them dropped on the pier. 

Tossed Over The Side image.png.8280543ea52b6b2c4eb001ca86980573.png

Is that Literally or Figuratively Steve image.png.a1a7ace4a33663f85e89c201e00a1f89.png

21 minutes ago, patches said:

Tossed Over The Side image.png.8280543ea52b6b2c4eb001ca86980573.png

Is that Literally or Figuratively Steve image.png.a1a7ace4a33663f85e89c201e00a1f89.png

Literally. Tossed a few over the years 

27 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Literally. Tossed a few over the years 

Was this in the harbor, you know in port, or on the high seas?

5 minutes ago, patches said:

Always at sea. Helmets get beat up. Stuff falls on them. The rust horribly. We used them to prop stuff up, as paint buckets. No one liked them, so no one really cared about them. We mixed and matched parts to make one good one and tosssd the rest over the side. 

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
7 hours ago, patches said:

planning a diving operation?

Just to be clear, we did not toss stuff over the side in port. Something might fall over the side occasionally. One night on the Mid-Watch in San Diego, I was instructing a new guy on field stripping the 1911. It was part of the Qualification for Petty Officer of the watch. Anyway, he was breaking the weapon down and his finger slipped off the barrel bushing. The bushing and operating spring went flying out into the bay. Rather embarrassing. And, of course, the Duty Gunners Mate was not pleased about having to get up at 0200, to get a new pistol for the Quarter Deck. And, the next morning, I and the Non-Qual, had a pile of paperwork to fill out explaining the loss. 

Burning Hazard

I read how the Navy/USMC tossed entire crates of captured Japanese weapons and samurai swords into Tokyo Bay after Japan surrendered; might still be there today.

Pat

13 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Huge glob of rusted crap.  

Ha! You're probably right :D Maybe a good crab or two in there for lunch..