Any book or website suggestions for Revolutionary Warfare Or Middles Ages

Marne Pa

I am very curious about what it was like to fight during the middle ages with the Knights and also during the revolutionary war. I am just curious to the psychological and physical challenges of fighting during these times. In particular, I was wondering how they would justify themselves, By putting themselves in harms way lined up while others are shooting at them or when you’re in the middle of a battle in the middle ages when you’re fighting with swords with somebody And they can  just come behind you and attack you. how could you keep guard on all sides of yourself? I was just wondering if there were any first-hand account books that are easier to read? What I mean by that is sometimes they are written in old English or the way they are written it’s just too hard to follow. Also are there any good websites, I prefer firsthand accounts. 

Both of these time periods have active reenactor groups.  Sometimes their websites have links to reference material. 

Teacher resource websites might also be helpful.

To get you started, I typed an internet search for First Hand Account of the Revolutionary War and got these two hits :

https://americainclass.org/sources/makingrevolution/war/text6/pensionnarratives.pdf

https://www.historycentral.com/Revolt/battleaccounts/Index.html

2 hours ago, gwb123 said:

Both of these time periods have active reenactor groups.  Sometimes their websites have links to reference material. 

Teacher resource websites might also be helpful.

To get you started, I typed an internet search for First Hand Account of the Revolutionary War and got these two hits :

https://americainclass.org/sources/makingrevolution/war/text6/pensionnarratives.pdf

https://www.historycentral.com/Revolt/battleaccounts/Index.html

Thank you, I already enjoy the reading. Thanks again.

M24 Chaffee

Hello, this is an enjoyable memoir to read. 

https://www.amazon.com/Memoir-Revolutionary-Soldier-Narrative-Americana/dp/0486451461

“A wide-eyed teenager during most of the Revolutionary War, Joseph Plumb Martin left his grandfather's farm in Connecticut in 1775 and spent much of the next eight years with the Continental Army, crisscrossing the mid-Atlantic states and returning north after the British surrender at Yorktown. His notes, penned when he was seventy, recount in grim detail his harrowing experiences during the conflict — the staggering losses in human life, the agony of long marches, constant gnawing hunger, bitter cold, and the fear of battle, as well as a warts-and-all view of military leaders. Balancing these brutal wartime experiences are lively accounts of hunting, fishing, and other diversions--including an occasional encounter with a "saucy miss."
The fullest existing description of the Revolutionary War by an enlisted man, and a rediscovered gem of American history, Martin's recollections brim with telling anecdotes that reveal a great deal about American life during this era. An invaluable memoir from an ordinary man in extraordinary times, the narrative is "one of the best firsthand accounts of war as seen by a private soldier." — St. Louis (Mo.) Post-Dispatch

Regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank, I will order that book. Currently, I am read On Killing by Grossman. Very interesting, but I am not sure if I buy the percentages of the Marshall study.

7 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

I found McCullough’s “1776” to be quite good.

I read that one, awesome book. I particularly enjoyed the part where Washington gave an inspiring speech to some soldiers, so that they would stay to fight instead of going home to tend their farms. The soldiers still went home...not like the movies.

The Rooster
On 7/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, Marne Pa said:

I am very curious about what it was like to fight during the middle ages with the Knights and also during the revolutionary war. I am just curious to the psychological and physical challenges of fighting during these times. In particular, I was wondering how they would justify themselves, By putting themselves in harms way lined up while others are shooting at them or when you’re in the middle of a battle in the middle ages when you’re fighting with swords with somebody And they can  just come behind you and attack you. how could you keep guard on all sides of yourself? I was just wondering if there were any first-hand account books that are easier to read? What I mean by that is sometimes they are written in old English or the way they are written it’s just too hard to follow. Also are there any good websites, I prefer firsthand accounts. 

I can only guess.........

Its been my observation having read a lot of history and military history specifically, is that they relied on the friends and comrades to watch their backs.

Tactics change, equipment changes, times change....but people are basically the same as they always were. Even now, in a military unit, its your friends and platoon and company mates, you watch eachothers back. I doubt you would find it any different thousands of years ago.

But I am sure it was difficult. Having none of the modern convieniences... You had to be strong or get strong quick and I doubt a person lived very long back in the day.

Life prob shortened by the rigors of camp life. Injuries sickness.

Prob a very tough life in either time frame that you have mentioned.