UDT 13 Patch sold for $166.33 on Ebay

USMarineCorps

USMarineCorps

Hi all,

This one got me stumped.

Most UDT I have seen go for $30-$50 depending on the age, condition and team.

This UDT-13 patch, however, just sold for $166.33 on Ebay. 3 bidders put in a bid of $100+.

Is this just a patch a couple of collectors needed to fill a hole? Or am I missing something else here?

Fred

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.19.57.png

I think I have seen the subdued version go for this amount, not one of these though 

the two underbidders had plenty of feedback, the winner had none.  we might see this up for sale again

River Patrol

I've sold two of these over the years for around $150, maybe even higher.

The Japanese versions go higher too.

Agree that  these can go for that especially if they have what some call a "glass back"Thai made type .

River Patrol

Subdued patches will sell for $50-$75 but I don't get them very often

1 hour ago, mortaydc60 said:

Agree that  these can go for that especially if they have what some call a "glass back"Thai made type .

Mort, never heard of a glass back, do you have picture?

Sorry should have i think  said "grass" backed but Thia which I had heard are harder to find. Have pic of front but not back which I will post 

IMG_1975.JPG

I too was surprised at how much this standard UDT-13 shoulder patch sold for.  I can see the subdued version selling for that much money but not the standard patch.  I've attached a photo of the back of one of the Thai grass backed UDT patches that mortaydc60 was referring to.  They are also referred to as straw backs and are scarce but so far I have not seen a photograph of one being worn by anyone on either their uniform top or swim trunks.

UDT13 Straw Back1.jpg

Thanks for the information, still learning stuff.  This is the first I ever heard about the grass backed patches. 

Still don't know why white Team 13 patches are worth that, I have passed on a lot of them for a lot less than that.

Thanks Tonomachi for posting. Have examples for 11,12 and 13th. Was told that these go for more than the above like in the $200+ range by very advanced VN collector, which I am not. I'm OK on earlier patches but VN era is my kryptonite.

vintageproductions

Not just Thai made there are early Philippine made pieces with the same style backing.

To me its ...well Ebay. Its an auction. Today it brings $150 the next one may bring $35 no rhyme or reason and if it was at a show it more than likely would go unsold. I see this a lot with on line auctions..ebay ,proxiy bid etc.  

And I would add that people have been stuck at home for four months, with very few - if any - shows.

It would be interesting to see real trend data on online auction volumes and average sale prices over the past six months.  I would suspect some pretty significant acceleration.  

Who knows?  As Cat Stevens would say, “it’s a wild world”.

Here is another UDT related eBay auction that I was surprise sold for $113.50.  The UDT-21 tape is sought after but not at this price and I can't see the other patches commanding much money being US made first issue subdued SSIs unless the name tape of SLAWSON is connected with a high ranking or a highly decorated  UDT Sailor.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIETNAM-WAR-US-ARMY-NAVY-SUBDUED-UDT-SLAWSON-TASK-FORCE-THEATER-MADE-PATCH-LOT-/383633280033?nordt=true&nma=true&si=G5AkDMQvUZeXReUyeFK0LcOlWOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600 (34).jpg

vintageproductions

Kept meaning to add this to show that the Philippines also used the same backing, not just Thai made.

img960.jpg

River Patrol
On 7/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bearmon said:

Steve you're saying that this patch is 50 to 75 bucks but the white one is worth 150 bucks?

UDT 13 sub.jpg

Bearmon,

The type originally posted and Japanese made UDT patches will sell for $150 easily.

I don't get many of the subdued patches.

RP

• 1 month later...

Was the patch that was sold produced on a different twill material or that it looked like it was removed from a shirt that brought such a high price?

I went back to the original online listing and looked at the back to compare it to one of mine.

Here are pics of mine.The material

looks a little different.  

Thanks for your comments... I’m still learning

602BB89C-86A0-45AB-B0EB-D2011FD5A924.jpeg

C197B46D-7901-4DEC-9271-EC68853888AA.jpeg

38AFB0C5-F879-4A1A-B53E-2401A887A2C3.jpeg

12BEBCD7-387C-4039-A60E-84BF1227177A.jpeg

• 2 months later...