M-1910 Canteen Cover Time Period?

Vintage_Boi

Vintage_Boi

I recently picked up an M-1910 canteen cover that appears to be dyed OD No. 7. I am not sure as to whether or not it is a Second World War, Korea or post war manufactured item. 

The canteen cover has its manufacture stamp on the back, and the date appears to read either 44 or 54. However, it’s too faded for me to make it out clearly.

Part of me wants to say this cover is World War II issue, being that it has the digits “366” stenciled on the underside of both flaps. Possibly issued to a soldier of the 366th Infantry Regiment (only active from 1917–1919 & 1940-1945)?

It also has “A-43” stenciled on the bottom of the cover as well. Any help in determining what time period this canteen cover is from would be greatly appreciated!

8FFBEDEA-DAF4-4A30-B6FC-78AD3C8FA61E.jpeg

161C2AE2-B775-4423-95E4-13BA5659C9E9.jpeg

08972902-3E37-490E-9B07-591E21A65772.jpeg

AD5E1BEE-0776-4FF9-B151-201BCB26B9FB.jpeg

BCD02CD4-DA97-4238-8586-0055F9AF5968.jpeg

Judging by the expanded stamp, the cover would be dated to the 1950's. Tough to read the exact date though. But WW2 era ones usually just had manufacturer and year. The post WW2 'US' stamps on the front were typically a little smaller as well I've found.

Vintage_Boi

Thanks for the insight,

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the expanded manufacture stamp (more similar to the Korea/Vietnam era). But I am still confused as to where the “366” comes into play? I know that back in the 50s & 60s at flea markets it was possible for the items price tag to be written on the product itself. However, it seems strange to me that the same “price tag” would be written twice...

Thanks

The '366' could mean a lot of things. Could even be a troop number if the canteen was used by a Boy Scout for camping back in the day. Same with the A-43 - it could even be an old lot number from a previous seller before it would have been considered a collectible. Unless you have a soldier's laundry number marked somewhere on it or got it directly from the vet, it's tough to say really what it means or even when it was added and by whom.