transition Ka-bar?

draton2681

I have a KA-BAR knife that is blade marked KA-BAR and the guard is marked USN on both sides of the blade. No MK2 or any other markings. I read several years ago that this is a rare transition going from blade to guard markings. Does anyone have any facts on the variation?

It has the common dark Parkerized blade finish and a rectangular peened pommel. It is often referred to as the “double marked” KA-BAR. It is shown on page 365 in Bill Walters book. 

Frank Trzaska talks about this KA-BAR Mark 2 variation in his August 2006 Knife World article “The USN Mark 2”. I did not know it existed until I read his article. I was on the hunt then and found my first one in February 2007.

5-8C-5d=-7.jpg

7-8-KA-BAR USN-USNb=-5.jpg

Thanks Mikedon, That's it! I'm not a collector so I don't have the books to reference. Any idea when they were produced or the numbers?

No I don't know for sure. Frank Trzaska would probably be the only person in the world who would be able to tell you. I am pretty sure  they came after the KA-BAR Mark 2's blade marked  "KA-BAR - USN MK2".

I don't think KA-BAR made very many knives of this variation as they are very hard to find. I have one that is a little different from the rest. On most all of the knives of this variation I have seen the “N” in “USN” is partially obscured on the left side of the guard. This knife has the complete “USN” visible on both sides of the guard, (I have never seen another one like it).

3-8C-8e=-3.jpg