Bob Hudson

14 minutes ago, Bugme said:

Heard is was caused by a welder...

It's always caused by a welder.

33 minutes ago, Bob Hudson said:

It's always caused by a welder.

Or, cutting torch. ;)

Salvage Sailor

I've been watching the excellent close up live feed this morning here, showing the exterior damage in great detail.  They're still dropping water by Helo and pouring it in from the fireboats.

She's noticeably down by the stern and the well deck is barely above freeboard.  No doubt there's thousands of tons of seawater on board and more pouring in by the minute.

That's the irony of fighting fires aboard ships, as you're putting out the fire, you're also sinking the ship.

Soon we'll see massive dewatering pumps in action to keep her on an even keel.

This is so sad to watch.  Those ships are huge.  They are also very high above the water line.  I watched one move through Pearl Harbor years ago from a distance.  With its squared off appearance, it looked like one of the buildings was moving down the street!

Wharfmaster
On 7/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, Bugme said:

Heard is was caused by a welder...

20200714_124037.jpg

I so wish we had a like button.

Wharf

• 4 months later...
Salvage Sailor

There are two (2) I recall off of the top of my head

USS GUARDIAN (MCM-5) A minesweeper which was shredded on a reef in the Philippines in 2013

USS LAMOURE COUNTY (LST-1194) Run aground in Chile in 2000, wrecked beyond repair

1 hour ago, Salvage Sailor said:

USS GUARDIAN (MCM-5) A minesweeper which was shredded on a reef in the Philippines in 2013

Fiberglass and wood: the reef will always win.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:48 AM, Wharfmaster said:

I so wish we had a like button. 

Wharf

We do now. Look to the right hand side of any post.  See the word "LIKE" in black?

On 12/2/2020 at 7:47 AM, Chrisusa1 said:

What a shame. I wonder when is the last time the US Navy lost a ship to accident? Quite a long time I would think. 

See Honda Point disaster, California 1923. 7 Destroyers on the rocks.

Wharf

I was just thinking, all the other listed incidents in this thread happened while ships were in motion and were human error/ navigational accidents. The Bonhomme Richard was sitting at dock. It will be interesting to see what the accident investigators find. 

Salvage Sailor

Lost in a Shipyard (arson) Fire - March 28, 2014 

The Navy will hold a formal decommissioning ceremony for USS Miami (SSN-755), the Los Angeles-class attack boat (SSN-688) that was damaged by arson in 2012.

Several former commanding officers and crew will attend today’s ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine.

Originally commissioned in 1990, Miami had entered the Portsmouth yard to undergo a major overhaul in 2012.

While at the yard in May, Casey James Fury, 26, set a fire in a space that quickly spread through out the boat.

Fury was convicted of arson and is currently serving a 17 year prison sentence and required to pay the service $400 million — though prosecutors said it is unlikely he will ever make good.

The Navy initially said it would repair Miami but later said it was more cost effective to decommission the more than 20 year-old attack boat when cost estimates rose to $700 million.

“Miami is currently undergoing an inactivation process the Navy announced last fall. Her crew of 111 officers and enlisted personnel will all be reassigned to other units by December,” according to a statement from the service.

Miami will eventually have its fuel removed and be towed to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Wash. where it will be cut up for scrap.

uss miami.jpg

• 4 months later...
Salvage Sailor

The final line in the story sums it all up

It is the largest U.S. naval warship lost since World War II.

• 3 months later...
Woodymyster

Looks like they are charging at least one person with Arson with the loss of the ship.  I wonder how many charges will be brought up against him. 

On 8/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, Woodymyster said:

Looks like they are charging at least one person with Arson with the loss of the ship.  I wonder how many charges will be brought up against him. 

Provided they have the evidence, the dude's doomed

Salvage Sailor

Yes,

But see the story above about the destruction of the USS MIAMI.

The culprit, "Fury was convicted of arson and is currently serving a 17 year prison sentence and required to pay the service $400 million — though prosecutors said it is unlikely he will ever make good."

That's some understatement about restitution