USS BONHOMME RICHARD is on fire in San Diego

Bob Hudson

It has been burning since early this morning,  coming on 6-7 hours now. about 20 sailors have  been injured. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 2.49.17 PM.png

Navy says "fire was initially reported around 8:30 a.m." and it's now 3:30 pm, so 7 hours and the smoke is still billowing. From one angle it looked like there most smoke was coming out of the  upwind part of the ship but there was also black smoke coming out of the downside side, which I think is the stern.

Here's a screen shot from a live video  that was probably made from the Silver Strand which divides San Diego Bay from the ocean. It's done with a very strong telephoto lens, which compresses distance so that pleasure boats look a lot closer to the ship than they are (even so, the bay is not all that wide).

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 3.38.13 PM.png

9 minutes ago, sundance said:

what is the ship in the foreground of the second photo?

I think that is a Littoral combat ship. 

3 minutes ago, sky eagle said:

Let's All Pray for the Sailors.

It's been burning for 10 hours now, but there have been no additional injuries reported since this morning: 17 sailors and four civilians, none with life-threatening injuries.

DocCollector1441

The Marine layer is bringing the smell of the fire pretty well inland. I can smell it and I am a good 15 miles away.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 7.06.35 AM.png

Still burning after almost 24 hours and it's reported the Navy expects it to take a couple more days for it to burn out. It's just after 7 am here in San Diego and live TV new report said the smoke appears darker this morning. The Navy has set up a one-mile perimeter around the ship so, which includes TV cameras. The footage this morning did show what looked like military helicopters with water drop bags attached: the Navy and Marines had used those before to help civilian agencies fight brush fires.

I did some video a few years back showing how they pick up the water: 

Woodymyster

That ship may or may have already passed to point of saving in terms of being able to restore to mission readiness. It may be cheaper to replace than restore.  Interesting that the Chinese navy had a similar incident 3 months ago on one of their equivalent amphibious assault carriers. 

It it looks like the ship was undergoing repairs based on the appearance of the deck in the pictures. I know there were injured sailors and civies, but I'm so glad this ship wasent actively manned. Maybe an active crew could have put the fire out before it got out of hand, but I would not want to be there fighting that fire if I was on board. 

32 minutes ago, Woodymyster said:

That ship may or may have already passed to point of saving in terms of being able to restore to mission readiness. It may be cheaper to replace than restore.  Interesting that the Chinese navy had a similar incident 3 months ago on one of their equivalent amphibious assault carriers. 

It it looks like the ship was undergoing repairs based on the appearance of the deck in the pictures. I know there were injured sailors and civies, but I'm so glad this ship wasent actively manned. Maybe an active crew could have put the fire out before it got out of hand, but I would not want to be there fighting that fire if I was on board. 

They were undergoing maintenance so between that and the fact it was a weekend only about 20% of the crew was aboard. 

I live about 50 miles from Naval Base San Diego. When I stepped outside this morning my first thought was "Who spilled solvent on my patio?" That's what it smelled like.

Then I glanced upwards to the sky and could see the smoke and realized I was smelling the fire. The Navy said yesterday that nothing toxic had burned, but if the smoke has a chemical-like smell, that is a sign of toxins.

I had to drive 25 miles south this morning and all the way down I could see the the smoke settled in the canyons and valleys to the east of Interstate 5, in some places quite thick. 

The fire moved up the island and heats have become so extreme that structural steel is losing its integrity and shape. A sad day for the Gator Navy. God bless the Bonhomme Richard! -Joshua 

Just now, WVsubvet said:

The fire moved up the island and heats have become so extreme that structural steel is losing its integrity and shape. A sad day for the Gator Navy. God bless the Bonhomme Richard! -Joshua 

I had wondered if the helicopter water drops were more for keeping things cooled down rather than extinguishing the fire itself.

Besides pumping water on to the fire, they also have to pump it out: it looks like that fire boat pumping water into the bay is being used a bilge pump. This image is from 11:45 AM California time on Monday, about 27 hours since the fire began.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.46.06 AM.png

20 minutes ago, WVsubvet said:

Does it look like some of the island towers are leaning?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.59.49 AM.png

Salvage Sailor

The island mast is visibily melting and collapsing now.......soon to be a total loss

3 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

The island mast is visibily melting and collapsing now.......soon to be a total loss

Per Navy Times one hour ago the forward mast has collapsed. Heartbreaking. -Joshua

1 hour ago, WVsubvet said:

Per Navy Times one hour ago the forward mast has collapsed. Heartbreaking. -Joshua

mastdown.jpg

Navy Times reports:

"...all five personnel who were hospitalized due to injuries suffered while fighting the blaze have been released, according to the Navy.

In total, the Navy said 36 sailors and 23 civilians were treated for “minor injuries” such as heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation in the aftermath of the fire.

Anyone know what kind of impact 1,000 degree heat has on the hull plates? It's hard to imagine they can fix this up. Before returning to the Navy pier where she has been burning, she had a $249 million upgrade at the nearby General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard, which - FYI -  is where they fixed the Exxon Valdez after she spilled all that oil in Alaska.  The Valdez dumped 10-40 million gallons: the B-R has "only" one million gallons of fuel onboard but if that spilled into the narrow confines of San Diego Bay it would be tragic.